Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Safe question

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    This is one of the dumbest general statements I see people make on this matter. I have 7 long guns and yes I'll expand at some point, but not enough to outgrow a 24 gun safe any time in, well, my lifetime. 870 is my work horse, O/U 12GA is my skeet, dove and, now that I bought more thin wall chokes that are non-tox compatible, it doubles as another duck gun, my .270 is my deer killing machine, but the 16 ga is my favorite. It's also an older gun that I had Briley do the thin wall chokes on and those chokes are non-tox compatible so it'll get some duck hunting time this year too. I did pick up a .22 to start plinking with the kids some and I'll add a cricket here soon. Left a couple more out but you get the picture. I just don't need many more guns, but I want more. I have better things to do with my money, I guess, than build my own personal armory just to admire them cause I sure as hell don't have time to shoot do all. Guess I'm more quality than quantity type of guy. And by some folks' standards the firearms mentioned aren't the highest quality in the world, but they ain't junk either. Like I tell the ole lady, may not be much, but it's mine.

Hell I barely have time to properly use the guns I have like they deserve to be used, so I definitely can't justify buying more. If money were no object then perhaps I could buy all the guns I want.

If you collect guns that's good for you, but not everyone does. So telling every Tom, Dick and Harry with any level of certainty that they NEED a bigger gun safe is just silly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Maybe, but you typically never regret going larger if you can swing it. A gun safe can hold more than guns too. Important papers and other documents can also consume space. I know my safe is now too small, but I was restricted on size because of where it was placed.

This is one of the dumbest general statements I see people make on this matter. I have 7 long guns and yes I'll expand at some point, but not enough to outgrow a 24 gun safe any time in, well, my lifetime. 870 is my work horse, O/U 12GA is my skeet, dove and, now that I bought more thin wall chokes that are non-tox compatible, it doubles as another duck gun, my .270 is my deer killing machine, but the 16 ga is my favorite. It's also an older gun that I had Briley do the thin wall chokes on and those chokes are non-tox compatible so it'll get some duck hunting time this year too. I did pick up a .22 to start plinking with the kids some and I'll add a cricket here soon. Left a couple more out but you get the picture. I just don't need many more guns, but I want more. I have better things to do with my money, I guess, than build my own personal armory just to admire them cause I sure as hell don't have time to shoot do all. Guess I'm more quality than quantity type of guy. And by some folks' standards the firearms mentioned aren't the highest quality in the world, but they ain't junk either. Like I tell the ole lady, may not be much, but it's mine.

Hell I barely have time to properly use the guns I have like they deserve to be used, so I definitely can't justify buying more. If money were no object then perhaps I could buy all the guns I want.

If you collect guns that's good for you, but not everyone does. So telling every Tom, Dick and Harry with any level of certainty that they NEED a bigger gun safe is just silly.

That works for you, for now. When you have several nice scoped rifles (even different calibers for different things), that you don't want banging into each other, shotguns and rimfire rifles, not to mention dad and grandad's heirlooms, or you children start getting their own guns, it fills up quick. They shouldn't be stored like golf clubs. These folks are just speaking from experience, trying to save someone else the pain of having to do it again. Also, if you're working so much that you can't enjoy them, look for a job that pay's more, while requiring less time. You can't take that money with you either.

So basically your wife told you you could not get a bigger safe?

Get two safes
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Bownut, I speak from experience as well. I've had this safe 7 years and moved it from the house I was in when I bought it, then moved it to the one I bought last summer. And I can comprehend the idea of what a crowded gun safe would be like. I got 99 problems but a crowded safe ain't one.

JBt, first off, my dad wasn't a hunter, he taught me how to fish though. Granddad on my mom's side was an Grade-A asshole drunk that used to beat my mom with his metal golf cleats when he got really drunk, so thankfully he was not a gun owner cause he'd a likely skinned one of them smoke wagons one night and wasted some folks. My other granddad was a WWII vet who was in fact a bird hunter, and come to think of it I never knew what happened to his guns. He passed before I came into the world, but I'll be sure to ask my Uncle what ever came of his bird guns. So there's no heirlooms to be had at mi casa.

Second, it's not like I never shoot them. Yes, I work hard Monday-Friday at a job I love, then go do military duty one weekend a month and whatever other times they dictate. That with the other stuff that comes along with being married to woman who has 2 jobs, while we raise 2 youngins, yeah it's a lot. Doesn't leave much play time. And at my kids' age taking them along on grueling hunts like I like to do, just don't make sense. I simply said I don't shoot them enough, the way I feel they deserve to be shot. I mean guns were made for shooting right? That's what I got mine for. But no matter how much you shoot, is it ever enough? And we have a small safe for documents/passports, etc, good thing is even if put them in gun safe they wouldn't take up much space, especially not enough to justify having to get a bigger safe.

Steelin, it was my decision. I got the safe that suited my needs and it'll continue to suit my needs for the foreseeable future.

If I run out of space anytime soon I'll be sure to check in here to apologize and allow you guys the opportunity to tell me "I told ya so."

Last edited by willyworm; 08-13-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

You started an argument about how many guns somebody needs instead of giving input on safes. And a 24 gun safe is not really a 24 gun safe, at least not when your're talking about rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    You started an argument about how many guns somebody needs instead of giving input on safes. And a 24 gun safe is not really a 24 gun safe, at least not when your're talking about rifles.
    I can definitely agree that 24 gun safe can't really accommodate 24 guns nicely. As for my point, I think you missed it. I didn't start any argument about how many guns a person needs. That's a judgement call each man has to make for himself. I merely stated my opinion on the size of the safe he needs, which differed from the other fellers' apparently.

And I actually did offer input on the matter. He don't need to get a gargantuan safe because y'all filled reel's head with the thought that he needed a larger safe than he actually does.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-13-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I braced under mine myself, it weighs 1600 lbs unloaded. I put bracing under the hoist and thru bolted it with threaded rod to the floor

*joist.

Trust me. I own a safe and lock business in West Columbia and have been selling and installing gun safes, fire safes, burglary safes and more for over 50 years. You DO NOT need any more support under your safe. A freezer full of food is typically over a thousand pounds and you did not do anything extra there did you? You actually weigh way more per square inch of the floor you are standing on and you have never fallen through a floor I assume. We take 800 pound safes upstairs all the time and have never experienced any problem. Now we do sell some safes that weigh over a ton that we would not put upstairs or on a questionable floor but a typical gun safe full of bullets, shells, guns and the like are fine on a normal floor.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Thanks rooster.