Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deers

Default Deers

For the first time in South Carolina, come the opening of hunting season on Aug. 15, all harvested deer must be tagged at the point of kill.

“The tags are the actual tool to enforce bag limits,” S.C. Department of Natural Resources Big Game Program Coordinator Charles Ruth said. “The agency wants all deer tagged, which will give us a better ability to manage the deer harvest as we go into the future.”

SCDNR will be able to manipulate the number of tags, particularly the optional tags for does. Hunters have been able to get up to four additional doe tags for a long time and, if deemed appropriate, SCDNR can increase or decrease that number of tags in the future. A change in the number of buck tags requires approval from the Legislature.

“The eight doe tags replace what doe days used to be,” Ruth said. “It’s the same eight days we’ve had the last four or five years … typically Saturdays, except the last one, which is Jan. 1, 2018.”

This new approach is more conservative than past efforts in that there has not previously been a limit on antlered bucks in game zones three and four. Orangeburg, Calhoun and Bamberg counties are in zone three.

Past regulations in game zones one and two mandated a limit of five bucks. The new base limit in all game zones is three, with the option of purchasing two additional antler-restriction buck tags.

As for antlerless deer hunting, the new approach is more conservative in game zones one and two. Game zones three and four have the same limits as in past years.

“The buck restriction is designed to take the pressure off of the year-and-a-half-old bucks,” Ruth said. “If the hunter wants that extra opportunity, he has to get those tags. But he can’t just keep harvesting little bucks.”

Getting tags

Deer tags are not available over the counter at point-of-sales vendors like Walmart and Dick’s Sporting Goods. They can be purchased over the counter at S.C. Department of Natural Resources offices in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (downtown and Farmers Market), Florence and York. Tags may also be purchased by phone at 1-866-714-3611 or online at http://dnr.sc.gov/purchase.

Resident hunters whose hunting licenses and big-game permits are active as of Aug. 15 have received their base sets of tags in the mail. Hunters whose licenses and big-game permits expire prior to Aug. 15 need to renew their hunting credentials prior to hitting the woods.

Tags are valid for the entirety of deer season, which concludes on Jan. 1, 2018. But hunters need to maintain active licenses and big-game permits in order to hunt legally. To renew an expired hunting license or big game permit, go to one of the SCDNR offices or visit www.dnr.sc.gov/licensing.

Season dates

Game Zone 3 (private lands): Richland, Lexington, Calhoun, Aiken, Orangeburg, Barnwell, Bamberg, Allendale, Hampton, Jasper, Beaufort, Colleton, Dorchester, Berkeley, Charleston counties

Archery & Gun Hunts: Aug. 15-Jan. 1

Limits

The statewide limit on antlered bucks using personal deer tags is five for residents and four for non-residents. In each case, two of these bucks must have at least four points on one antler or a 12-inch inside spread. The daily limit for antlered bucks or antlerless deer using personal tags is two for both residents and non-residents.
    SCDNR regulations limit usage and number of antlerless deer tags within the games zones. The antlerless deer limit in zones three and four is a total of the eight date-specific antlerless tags issued with the big game permit and the number of individual antlerless deer tags the hunter chooses to purchase.
    Kyndel McConchie is public information director, Office of Media & Outreach, S.C. Department of Natural Resources.

Bologna
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Shit, they don't have the personnel to enforce this.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    For the first time in South Carolina, come the opening of hunting season on Aug. 15, all harvested deer must be tagged at the point of kill.

“The tags are the actual tool to GENERATE REVENUE,” S.C. Department of Natural Resources Big Game Program Coordinator Charles Ruth said. “The agency wants all deer tagged, which will give us a better ability to manage the deer harvest as we go into the future.”
    I fixed it for you.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I agree with in the future, but the problem again is they put gas in a car that doesn't have wheels under it.

Why stop there?

If we aren't gonna grow or attempt to grow larger antlered deer I could care less, unless we actually take the data and put that to use. Now then this whole thing makes sense.

But that is why I used the analogy I did. We have a car now, and it has gas in, but we can't do a dang thing with it but sit in it and pretend to being doing somewhere.

Sure we can rev the engine an make to sound cool, but where are we going??? NO WHERE!

The only thing this actually does is keep bubba who hunts a 1/2 acre from feeding the entire trailer park. Oh, and now gives DNR the ability to write tickets to well meaning hunters who forgot their Egyptian scroll at the house.

We don't know any more about deer harvest that we did before.

You could argue possibly based off the lack of buying doe tags/2buck tags we could get close, but why? If we have tags it would be so easy to make a call in or txt in system. Back that up with random audits after the year of tags left to keep everyone honest and bam now we know what are harvests are.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

The current tagging system is nothing but an easy way to lower the boom on what's coming. I hope. I also noticed where CR made the comment about taking pressure off of 1.5 old bucks. Wonder what he meant by that?

Heck I want the pressure of the 1.5,2.5,3.5, and the 4.5.

At 5.5 we can start to get busy on them.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Since deer aren't migratory, why don't you manage your property and I'll manage mine?

Fascist...

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Since deer aren't migratory, why don't you manage your property and I'll manage mine?
    You must have a fence then. Deer don't know property lines.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    You must have a fence then. Deer don't know property lines.
    I do have a fence, about 9miles of fence..

High fence tamie shooter.

He's low fence.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Oh, I know. I just like to call him Gedney, Jr. when I can...

My bro just got his SC residency after moving here from Savannah, got his resident license, and hasn't seen hide nor hair of tags. He will be in zoo at the DNR office today....
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I got tags for myself and my son (who has the same name, minus the middle name) and they sent me a letter asking me to return the duplicate set of tags, and informing me that they combined my hunter id # under his!

both of my kids got a letter saying they got two sets of tags and to return one set.

They only got ONE set of tags.

This entire tag system was poorly thought out and horribly implemented.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The Old Man has his gratis licence, of course. He has seen no tags, not that he would lower himself to shoot a deer unless it was attacking someone he liked.

So, DNR, you are telling me, that 70+ year olds now have to make some sort of effort to obtain some tag so that they can shoot a deer on their own property?

So laughable. You dumb fucking idiots...

Careful- they will stake you out and look for a reason to write tix...
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson