Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a BMW x5 35d

Default Looking to buy a BMW x5 35d

This is of course pointed at KRT, since he's the bimmer man. But anyone who can speak intelligently on the matter please feel free to chime in.

One thing's for certain. This Tahoe is killing me. So I've been shopping hard. Got my heart set on diesel, simply for efficiency and durability with me putting 25k miles on a vehicle a year and all. One thing that's for sure is that the wife will not sign off on me having 2 vehicles. So the truck + commuter car idea is dead. Gotta have a daily driver that can tow a jon boat. I wanted an Audi q7 TDI, but the whole dieselgate scandal screwed me. The TDI q7's that the EPA allowed to stay on the road (2013+) are too new for me to afford. The other diesel options that are not a 3/4 truck are too new and once again out of my budget.

So I can get a BMW x5 35d in the 2010-2012 range and stay around $15k or under. I've done some reading on common issues, and all seem to be pretty normal stuff that you'll get with just about any vehicle.

Any things I should look for specifically when shopping?
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Z71
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

You need to put your Pimp Hand down and tell the wife what's up...

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    You need to put your Pimp Hand down and tell the wife what's up...
    What he said. Let her know that you are master of your domain, end of discussion.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Good thing I wasn't asking for marriage advice. I'm perfectly capable of screwing that up all on my own. I think the best working facet of this domestic situation we have is that she's the brains when it comes to managing the money. She's the reason we still have any cause if it were all up to me I'd spend it all soon as I make it. She reels me back in.

My strengths are comic relief, killing shit, making good looking children, being awesome and selling phone and internet for Spectrum Business. Her strength is managing our money.

Now Tripp, I do need to come see you for some investment advice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

I've had customers pay me in the upper 2000.00 range to clean the soot and replace the EGR system. I believe Delmar on here can chime in. With that being said, it was all earlier models like 07-10. BMW came up with a software revision and changed how and when it regened and so far it seems to have helped. So if you stay closer to the 13 year model you should be ok.

In Europe, 70 % of BMW sales are diesel. At least when I was trained on them that was the statistic. They have diesels in every model over there. It's just the damn fuel and government regulations in the states. All manufacturers with a diesel in their line up is figuring out how to better their product in the U.S.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Thanks Kev. I did read something else saying they recommend staying in the 2010+ range because of some revision. I think it was mainly software.

The newest I can afford is probably 2010-2011 with around 100k mi. Anything else blows my budget. Just a couple years makes a $5,000-10k difference.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Any aftermarket chips or tunes you'd highly recommend that might alleviate some of those egr issues they've been known to have or is that unavoidable?

Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2017 at 07:59 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post

Any things I should look for specifically when shopping?
    A pink tutu to accessorize?

Hilarious.

Find me a diesel powered vehicle under $15k that'll pull my boat and still get ~30 mpg hwy and I'll buy it.

I'm all ears.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2017 at 08:25 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just think about the 3-5 mpg that Deere's get, and go get you what you really want to drive...

I haven't tuned a BMW Willyworm. You get one and I'll be glad to investigate. My clients driving those are not typically the type to tune one if you know what I mean.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Understood. I'm not worried about power. Those 6 cylinder diesels are plenty tourquey, just know that there's usually more power in em just gotta get it out.

Seen a couple plug n play chips that make some mild changes, I don't want anything extreme, just looking to open her up to maximize efficiency.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd rather be driving a Deere or a few other choice vehicles, but I can't pay cash for what I really want to drive, so this is my compromise. And whatever I get I will be paying cash for.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Preposterous. Who is going to pay your banker neighbors loan payment then? Greedy is what you are...

Guess that's my little way of sticking to the man. Meh. I've been called worse.

Plus my neighbors are all doctors. Except for the sleeze ball realtor at the end of the road and the old widower across the street. I do intend to sip a little bourbon and get the widower's story. Still have no clue what he did for a living. We just chat when I pass him running the block and when I'm playing out in the yard with the kids. He said he used to run marathons back in the day and that's about enough to earn some respect from me. Very nice gentleman.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What about a older Land Rover with a diesel?? My neighbor just sold one that was badass. He claimed to get 30mpg out of it.

Kevin,

there seems to be a few EGR delete kits out there. Read where a guy with a 2010 35d did the EGR delete and 40k mi later, still no issues but with better power and mpg. That's about all I'm looking to gain. Just trying to do my homework before I buy.

Also wondering if the EGR delete will interfere with the chip I'm considering. Gonna do some more reading over the next few days while I'm on a long-awaited beach vacation. Gonna make a purchase probably soon thereafter once I find the right vehicle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bad thing about Rover is there are not nearly as many units on the road, which means far fewer parts available. BMW has such a faithful following that there's plenty of research, knowledgeable mechanics, enthusiast forums to read, ect. Plus I've never been really impressed with any Land Rover I've driven

Honestly this x5 I'm looking at purchasing will only be intended to last me a couple/few years until I can save up and pay cash for the Audi Q7 TDI I really like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah there are kits out there. If we delete EGR, we'll have to put a programmer on it anyways.
    More fuel = more boost!!