Thread: Clover and oats

Default Clover and oats

We have been planting oats for many years. I usually plant them 120 to 150 lbs an acre. This year i want to mix it up and try clover in a few fields. I see old post where people say plant oats as a cover crop the first year to have something to hunt over and the clover will get established for the next few years. My question is what rate of oats do you plant so the oats are not to thick to allow clover to grow also and can still hunt over? 50 lbs a acre or more?

I usually drill about 50 lbs to the acre. I'd guess maybe 75 lbs to the acre of broadcasting.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Drill your oats if you are able. Some ag extensions or cattlemen's associations have them for rent for a small per acre fee - we pay $45 + $4/ac. The drill busts up the soil well enough to allow the tiny clover seeds to find bare soil. Then we broadcast clover (I like Durana) over top of the drilled field. Try to do all this with rain in the forecast and you will be happy with the results. You get far more yield per bag of grain drilling vs broadcasting (almost double) so the drill pays for itself. Next year around the tail end of turkey season mow the plot down and spray arrest (blue box) and you will have a prime summer clover plot.

If you get a good stand of clover remember it will make its own nitrogen, so 0-24-24 fertilizer will be your friend the year after.

Added: oats are great, and I have had success with them. But if you are able to secure a drill I have had best results 50/50 mixing rye grain and wheat - they are the same size seed so they meter through the drill well together. The deer in my area take to them just as well if not better than oats. And the smaller seed size allows more room for clover. Just an observation I've made over the years.
    Last edited by wiz18; 08-12-2017 at 06:48 AM.

I appreciate the replies. Yes the oats will be drilled. I will also run the cultipaker over the clover. How long before clover is tall enough for deer to feed on it? Will it do me any good this year?
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 08-12-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rem11-87 View Post
    I appreciate the replies. Yes the oats will be drilled. I will also run the cultipaker over the clover. How long before clover is tall enough for deer to feed on it? Will it do me any good this year?
    Won't take long. They will hammer it in October
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid