Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String Question?

Default String Question?

A friend of mine sent me this picture tonight and asked my opinion so now I'm asking y'alls? I know the pic isn't the best, but he couldn't get the camera to stop focusing on the cam. The string is a month old and has less than 100 shots on it. My opinion is that it's wearing way too fast and should be replaced. I checked two of my bows that have a lot more shots on them and neither is near as bad. One being a factory string that has serving on the loop and another being a custom string with no serving on the loop. What are your thoughts?

Mathews z7
    Vapor Trail String
    Jeffery Archery

IMG950361.jpg

If I see what I think I'm seeing, I'd take it back in and have them take a look at it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Ya. I know its hard to make out, but the loop/string is frayed a LOT to be a brand new string.

Shooting a halon solves all issues.

From what i can make out, yes its wearing quick and id take it back to jefferys..

Yeah, I'd take it back in and let them look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

He took it to them today and said that the guy said it was just the serving fraying and that he was going to reserve it. I haven't seen it in person because my friend lives in Columbia, but it sure looks like the fraying is string material and not serving in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    He took it to them today and said that the guy said it was just the serving fraying and that he was going to reserve it. I haven't seen it in person because my friend lives in Columbia, but it sure looks like the fraying is string material and not serving in the picture.
    I'm not knowledgable enough on compound bows to know what's causing that, but I'd be as concerned with the possible real cause vs just assuming the serving was unraveling. In other words, and maybe someone here will know, but could that cable be twisted, or might his shooting technique, etc, be creating the issue, which is just going to cause this again soon?

I've spent my career looking for the root cause of issues, so please excuse me if I look to twice at things like this. Just like you are questioning the answer your friend was given, I often don't accept the first answer either.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

someone was rushing those servings
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Update:

Jeffery's contacted Vapor Trail. I guess they sent them pictures of the string. VT apologized and sent new string.

out of curiosity, how long did that take?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Well, they are in Ham Lake, MN, which is roughly 5,332,800 feet away. At 350 FPS (we are talking about a damn Matthews here), it took 269 minutes to get there and 269 minutes to get back. I'll give them 10 minutes to receive the old, and pack up the new, and I'm guessing the total was a little over 9 hours. Anything more than that would be excessive
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

ha

i was actually talking about how long it took someone from jeffrey's to take care of it. speed is not their biggest attribute.

I lived in MN for a couple years. Know ham lake well....

This use to be the case but if you deal with Ryan, he will get it done. I went in there last week to change a peep and get a serving redone and it took me 30 minutes.

On a side note I feel like Ryan is trying really hard to fix the customer service issues that Jeffery archery had at one time. Tom Jeffery knows his shit and does a good job. The person that needs to go is the other tom. Don't let him touch your shit he will mess it up in a heart beat. I don't let anyone but Ryan touch my stuff. If he is not there and tom Jeffery can do it, I will let him if he has time.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 08-29-2017 at 08:46 AM.

I think the archery business is one tough row to hoe
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Update:

Jeffery's contacted Vapor Trail. I guess they sent them pictures of the string. VT apologized and sent new string.
    That was going to be my recommendation. I shoot vapor trail on all my bows and they have excellent customer service. The best thing to do is order your strings straight from vapor trail and take them with you to have them installed. I'm not sure how much Tom or other shops are marking their strings up, but you can order straight from vapor trail. You can do it online or call them with your bow model, then select colors.

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    Shooting a halon solves all issues.

From what i can make out, yes its wearing quick and id take it back to jefferys..
    If you want a real bow, you need to knock your old man in the head and take that switchback I hooked him up with.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    If you want a real bow, you need to knock your old man in the head and take that switchback I hooked him up with.
    You done bumped yo head. Either that or you've never shot a Halon.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I think the whole process took a few weeks. To my surprise (my buddy's as well) the guys at Jeffery's told him to keep shooting it. He had to make it very clear to them that he didn't feel comfortable shooting it. That's when they contacted VT. Keep in mind, it had only been on the bow a few weeks and had less than 100 shots on it. What would it have looked like in two months with a few hundred shots on it?

On the topic of Jeffery's. I personally haven't been there in a few years because I rather drive to Summerton. With that said... the last few times I went in there I felt very uncomfortable because all the guy done was bash everything that I had in my hand (I had my string changed) and told me how I was basically a low life for shooting anything that wasn't Mathews. From what I've heard that guy has been gone for a while now. My buddy lives in Columbia and when he goes in he tries to get Mr. Jeffery to wait on him, but he said that he rarely does any of the actual work anymore.

Personally, I like Cross Roads. Scott has always done me right. He may be set in his ways, but I've never seen him bash anyone's stuff and even though Mathew's is his largest seller I've seen him recommend Parker over Mathews to plenty of customers who were on a budget. I buy most of my archery stuff online due to us not having a good shop near by, but I try my best to get my big ticket items from Cross Roads even though its over an hour away.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 08-29-2017 at 09:25 PM.

I lived in MN for a couple years. Know ham lake well....
    It all makes sense now
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

ha^ I lived outside the twin cities for two years during my residency. great place. great duck hunting (if you like divers).

I'm not knocking Jeffrey, per se. Ryan is good. "Red Tom", as Gbelly calls him, is good people too.

I do wish they would run their business a bit differently but there is a lot of knowledge and history in that place....