Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Serious Questions

If I go duck hunting with my daughter and we both kill a limit, she can "tag" her birds with her info and give them to me to transport home and she can go somewhere else. Or both of us can tag our birds and can gift them to our neighbor. We can do the same with doves. Why can't we do the same with a deer? Why can't my daughter tag a deer with her deer tag and tag the deer with her info and have me transport for her to a processor? Or gift the deer to our neighbor who then wants to take it to his favorite processor on the other side of town?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Where exactly does it state you can't?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Yeah I'm with Cali. It says the tag has to remain on it until it has been processed (and that could simply mean quartered up). But I haven't seen anything stating that you can't transport a deer for someone else.

But I have a feeling this question is about more than just can I carry someone else's deer to the processor for them. And maybe more in line with, what's gonna happen if I have a deer tagged with someone else's name on the tag.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post

But I have a feeling this question is about more than just can I carry someone else's deer to the processor for them. And maybe more in line with, what's gonna happen if I have a deer tagged with someone else's name on the tag.
    Zackly. And what are you talking about with the dove and duck tags?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

If you are carrying more than one limit of doves home from a shoot, the hunter who gave you her birds needs to tag her birds with her info...name, license number, number of birds, etc. I'm not sure if, even then, you can be in possession of more than two limits of uncleaned doves.

My 3 year old has tags this year.... just saying.

No hidden agenda. Serious question. CR told me that if I transported a properly tagged deer to the processor for my daughter and she didn't accompany me that I could get a ticket for "having someone else's tags in my possession". If I can transport her ducks by attaching a card with her info on it, why can't I transport her deer by doing the same?

I know before the days of these tags you could get a ticket if you brought someone else's doe that had a tag on it to the processor for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I know before the days of these tags you could get a ticket if you brought someone else's doe that had a tag on it to the processor for them.
    did it many times and never knew it was illegal- that's govt bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    If that's the case, it's never been enforced. We have thanksgiving and end of year hunts where Lots of deer die. Wouldn't be anything to see a truck ride by with 20-30 deer in it.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    If that's the case, it's never been enforced. We have thanksgiving and end of year hunts where Lots of deer die. Wouldn't be anything to see a truck ride by with 20-30 deer in it.
    The rear bumper would drag when you hit a bump
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post

these are SC deer not big ole yankee deer

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Use my Dodge. Won't have that problem.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    did it many times and never knew it was illegal- that's govt bullshit
    My cousin was wrote a warning for it.

Here is what my understanding is after asking DNR.

Tags are to remain on deer until we begin processing. Meaning when we start to debone. You can still gift deer to people for processing. They seemed to be a little muddy on that I honestly don't think it had been thought of. This year there will be fair degree of leniency (warnings). I don't think there would be any issue with gifting a deer for processing purposes. In my experience DNR have never tried to get in the way of a legally killed deer being eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Here is what my understanding is after asking DNR.

Tags are to remain on deer until we begin processing. Meaning when we start to debone. You can still gift deer to people for processing. They seemed to be a little muddy on that I honestly don't think it had been thought of. This year there will be fair degree of leniency (warnings). I don't think there would be any issue with gifting a deer for processing purposes. In my experience DNR have never tried to get in the way of a legally killed deer being eaten.

The "muddy" part is what concerns me. Can I legally transport a tagged buck when the tag does not belong to me and the owner of the tag is not present? If I drop a legally tagged buck off at a neighbors house for him, can he then legally transport that deer to the processor of his choosing? I would assume a DNR officer would think the person with the deer had done something illegal by using someone else's tag. Same case as having 12 ducks in your truck. The officer would assume you shot all 12 UNLESS 6 of them were "tagged/labeled" with the shooters info. There is a means to legally handle it with ducks, what about for a deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    The "muddy" part is what concerns me. Can I legally transport a tagged buck when the tag does not belong to me and the owner of the tag is not present? If I drop a legally tagged buck off at a neighbors house for him, can he then legally transport that deer to the processor of his choosing? I would assume a DNR officer would think the person with the deer had done something illegal by using someone else's tag. Same case as having 12 ducks in your truck. The officer would assume you shot all 12 UNLESS 6 of them were "tagged/labeled" with the shooters info. There is a means to legally handle it with ducks, what about for a deer?
    I think the difference is deer are State regulated Big game animals. Doves or ducks are federally regulated Small game animals.

In your original post you mentioned tagging gifted birds. They only have to be tagged if you are carrying someone else's birds......or if you were to gift your birds to a person,not at his residence(example.....giving them away at a gas station). If you and your daughter gift them at that person's residence, tagging requirements do not apply.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Asking 'DNR' can yield several different rules interpretations. They're really not interpretations at all, just what they think the law might be. I guess getting it in writing might keep you out of trouble with a different officer but I just don't see them writing it out for you.

Just asked again.. and was told exactly: you may kill, tag, and give a deer to another person for carriage to processor.

But like kioto says, wrong officer wrong day who knows.

Another note: deer must be tagged until deboned OR quartered.
    Last edited by Rodney; 08-12-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post

Another note: deer must be tagged until deboned OR quartered.
    Is this written somewhere. I tried to find it on the SCDNR website and must have read over it.

If I quarter up three deer and take to processor and the warden is sitting there, what happens? Do I need to keep the tags that I used? Ducks you have to keep one wing attached for ID, how will this work for deer?