Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Serious Questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sparkleberry Swamp
    Posts
    1,464

    Default Serious Questions

    If I go duck hunting with my daughter and we both kill a limit, she can "tag" her birds with her info and give them to me to transport home and she can go somewhere else. Or both of us can tag our birds and can gift them to our neighbor. We can do the same with doves. Why can't we do the same with a deer? Why can't my daughter tag a deer with her deer tag and tag the deer with her info and have me transport for her to a processor? Or gift the deer to our neighbor who then wants to take it to his favorite processor on the other side of town?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Beaufort, SC
    Posts
    7,185

    Default

    Where exactly does it state you can't?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Manning, SC
    Posts
    7,389

    Default

    Yeah I'm with Cali. It says the tag has to remain on it until it has been processed (and that could simply mean quartered up). But I haven't seen anything stating that you can't transport a deer for someone else.

    But I have a feeling this question is about more than just can I carry someone else's deer to the processor for them. And maybe more in line with, what's gonna happen if I have a deer tagged with someone else's name on the tag.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Camdenshire
    Posts
    5,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post

    But I have a feeling this question is about more than just can I carry someone else's deer to the processor for them. And maybe more in line with, what's gonna happen if I have a deer tagged with someone else's name on the tag.
    Zackly. And what are you talking about with the dove and duck tags?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sullivan\'s Island
    Posts
    8,582

    Default

    If you are carrying more than one limit of doves home from a shoot, the hunter who gave you her birds needs to tag her birds with her info...name, license number, number of birds, etc. I'm not sure if, even then, you can be in possession of more than two limits of uncleaned doves.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    My 3 year old has tags this year.... just saying.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sparkleberry Swamp
    Posts
    1,464

    Default

    No hidden agenda. Serious question. CR told me that if I transported a properly tagged deer to the processor for my daughter and she didn't accompany me that I could get a ticket for "having someone else's tags in my possession". If I can transport her ducks by attaching a card with her info on it, why can't I transport her deer by doing the same?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,285

    Default

    I know before the days of these tags you could get a ticket if you brought someone else's doe that had a tag on it to the processor for them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    charleston
    Posts
    4,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I know before the days of these tags you could get a ticket if you brought someone else's doe that had a tag on it to the processor for them.
    did it many times and never knew it was illegal- that's govt bullshit

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I know before the days of these tags you could get a ticket if you brought someone else's doe that had a tag on it to the processor for them.
    If that's the case, it's never been enforced. We have thanksgiving and end of year hunts where Lots of deer die. Wouldn't be anything to see a truck ride by with 20-30 deer in it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    15,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    If that's the case, it's never been enforced. We have thanksgiving and end of year hunts where Lots of deer die. Wouldn't be anything to see a truck ride by with 20-30 deer in it.
    The rear bumper would drag when you hit a bump
    More fuel = more boost!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    beaufort,sc
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    The rear bumper would drag when you hit a bump

    these are SC deer not big ole yankee deer

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Here is what my understanding is after asking DNR.

    Tags are to remain on deer until we begin processing. Meaning when we start to debone. You can still gift deer to people for processing. They seemed to be a little muddy on that I honestly don't think it had been thought of. This year there will be fair degree of leniency (warnings). I don't think there would be any issue with gifting a deer for processing purposes. In my experience DNR have never tried to get in the way of a legally killed deer being eaten.
    301 Taxidermy & Processing
    "Every harvest represents a life lived and a memory made."
    @301_taxidermy

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sparkleberry Swamp
    Posts
    1,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Here is what my understanding is after asking DNR.

    Tags are to remain on deer until we begin processing. Meaning when we start to debone. You can still gift deer to people for processing. They seemed to be a little muddy on that I honestly don't think it had been thought of. This year there will be fair degree of leniency (warnings). I don't think there would be any issue with gifting a deer for processing purposes. In my experience DNR have never tried to get in the way of a legally killed deer being eaten.

    The "muddy" part is what concerns me. Can I legally transport a tagged buck when the tag does not belong to me and the owner of the tag is not present? If I drop a legally tagged buck off at a neighbors house for him, can he then legally transport that deer to the processor of his choosing? I would assume a DNR officer would think the person with the deer had done something illegal by using someone else's tag. Same case as having 12 ducks in your truck. The officer would assume you shot all 12 UNLESS 6 of them were "tagged/labeled" with the shooters info. There is a means to legally handle it with ducks, what about for a deer?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Asking 'DNR' can yield several different rules interpretations. They're really not interpretations at all, just what they think the law might be. I guess getting it in writing might keep you out of trouble with a different officer but I just don't see them writing it out for you.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Just asked again.. and was told exactly: you may kill, tag, and give a deer to another person for carriage to processor.

    But like kioto says, wrong officer wrong day who knows.

    Another note: deer must be tagged until deboned OR quartered.
    Last edited by Rodney; 08-12-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    301 Taxidermy & Processing
    "Every harvest represents a life lived and a memory made."
    @301_taxidermy

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,767

    Default

    How long do some of you wait to clean a deer?

    If I dropped a deer off at the processor on the way home for a friend headed in the other direction I would have no concern. I would snap a pic of him with the deer and the wound with a pic of his hunting licenses. I would call ahead to the processor to make sure he would accept.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 08-12-2017 at 12:48 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Wateree, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,973

    Default

    You know what? Fuck this shit...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    14,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    The "muddy" part is what concerns me. Can I legally transport a tagged buck when the tag does not belong to me and the owner of the tag is not present? If I drop a legally tagged buck off at a neighbors house for him, can he then legally transport that deer to the processor of his choosing? I would assume a DNR officer would think the person with the deer had done something illegal by using someone else's tag. Same case as having 12 ducks in your truck. The officer would assume you shot all 12 UNLESS 6 of them were "tagged/labeled" with the shooters info. There is a means to legally handle it with ducks, what about for a deer?
    I think the difference is deer are State regulated Big game animals. Doves or ducks are federally regulated Small game animals.

    In your original post you mentioned tagging gifted birds. They only have to be tagged if you are carrying someone else's birds......or if you were to gift your birds to a person,not at his residence(example.....giving them away at a gas station). If you and your daughter gift them at that person's residence, tagging requirements do not apply.

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Beaufort, SC
    Posts
    7,185

    Default

    Show it to me in print or it's just talk!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •