Thread: Land locked, how SC made fishing history.

Default Land locked, how SC made fishing history.

Pretty good video.

"Bass holes". Lol. Good video

Interesting video. I never knew a lot of that history.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Cool video the cleaning the fish and cooking part made me say some bad words. Don Drose has caught more fish than a Japanese tuna boat. He is incredible on that lake.

Great video
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Saw that several years ago and had it stored on our DVR but some how it got erased

Never saw complete show, thanks for posting. Will watch it this weekend

I was under the impression that our fish were Riverine (sp?) as in NEVER went to the ocean but maybe the salt line. Up the rivers to spawn, back down in the winter. And they just got caught up in the lake?
    Pretty sure the NC fish up above Pamlico are the southern most ocean goers
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    I was under the impression that our fish were Riverine (sp?) as in NEVER went to the ocean but maybe the salt line. Up the rivers to spawn, back down in the winter. And they just got caught up in the lake?
    Pretty sure the NC fish up above Pamlico are the southern most ocean goers
    You are correct!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

And the southern extreme for them is the St John's around Jacksonville.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

#lakelife #strippersforstripers #scheybobiologists

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    And the southern extreme for them is the St John's around Jacksonville.
    Pretty sure there are some native riverine fish in the Apalachicola drainage and maybe others on the Gulf side.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

There may possibly be but different genetics altogether.
    I can't locate it but several years ago I read a great research abstract about our local fish.
    Obviously it covered range and many other characteristics and physiological differences from the stripers to the north.
    The big difference is our fish summer in cool, well oxygenated fresh water v/s the ocean.
    Springs, deep holes, cypress shade is where you'll find migrating coastal stripers in the summer and along or near the salt break in the fall and winter.
    I've caught em in 4 of our coastal rivers and it never gets old!
    I looked today for abstract but couldn't find it....I'll keep looking.

FYI, I didn't watch the video but I assume this dude don't know local SC striper physiology as well as he thinks!

Don't FUK with Julian - he's the stripa swipe. I like to eat them very much and wish we had more.

#bakedstriper #liveeels #santeerednecksaintnoniologist

I didn't watch the video. We used to catch them in the icw in Georgetown right beside the ferry in the fall. I imagine there is some of both.
    Hell my dad has caught them in black creek in Florence county 50 years ago. My conclusion is there were simply way more fish back then in all the rivers

That's good stuff, Cali. I have all of those research papers and worked pretty closely with the bios for several years to advocate for those findings while we had no striped bass regulations in the ACE Basin. The big ah ha for those bios when that research was happening was that the genetics were distinct to the rivers in the ACE and therefore, restocking from the hatchery was taken off of the table as a management option. Thankfully, we haven't had drought years in the last decade and we have some creel limits which I would imagine have helped the populations hang on.

It's funny that Don Drose is on the video image at the top of this thread. He's a perfect example of a fisherman who knew more than the bios and was totally against the proposed changes on the lakes. Two years after the changes the fishery had improved to the point of bringing him out of retirement to guide again. I like Don a lot and have fished with him since I was a kid but it's a shining example of the dogma that breeds in this state.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 09-01-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

This was just on ETV