Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Practice Challenge.....

I won't shoot a deer past 45 yards or so and thats pushing it for me, but I shoot relatively heavy arrows with only 60 pounds. I practice everyday at 60 yards but I shoot a fixed 5 pin sight so I don't have enough to reach 100.

I made what I thought was a good shot at a deer at a little over 40 yards several years ago but it gave the deer enough time to react. It ended up being a horrible trailing experience. The deer spun at the sound of the shot and it hit him way back and traveled up through to his chest. I was shooting a Rage broadhead and it practically eviscerated the deer. I was finding large sections of intestines, organ parts and whatnot for about 150 yards. I don't know how he ran so far. That one made me realize that my ability to place a shot doesn't matter if the deer has time to move before the arrow gets to him. I consider deer reaction time as the limiting factor now, not my ability to place the shot. I don't take long shots at deer anymore.

I agree PG. it would take a very special set of circumstances for me to take a shot at a deer longer than 40 yards. Wind blowing, raining, etc to cover the sound, deer in the wide open, looking away, etc. there's just too many variables that come into play at distances greater than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.