Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions

Default Opinions

Now I know most of y'all are pretty hesitant about giving your opinion on things, but I'd like a little guidance from our resident motorheads. I'm in the process of looking for a used 4x4 in with a max budget of $15K. Looking at Toyota, Ford and Chevy. Would prefer a truck, with some kind of back seat, but a full size SUV would be considered too. This price range has me looking back as far as 2006 or so. Any important models that I should stay away from? How many miles are too many? Better to go older with lower miles, or newer with higher miles? Educate me, please.

2000-2006 Toyota Land Cruiser with under 1,000,000 miles.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If I had that budget, and didn't have anything heavy I needed to tow, I'd go with a 4 door Toyota Tacoma.

These are both options, but damn are they proud of them.

I'd stay away from the 3 valve Ford 5.4s in that year range, Don't know much about toyotas. You are good up to the body style change in 2007 for Chevy and GMC. They added active fuel management on all 5.3's from then on forward. If you go with a 07+ Chevy be aware of high oil consumption, sluggish on power, low compression, lifter issues that may be present or waiting to happen. The chevys with a 4.8 don't have that issue and the 6.2 like one I have does not have that either. Or find you a gas 2500 with the ly6 6.0L and you don't have to worry

what is the main use?

I have a 07 Tundra with 153000 and it's a great truck. No issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    what is the main use?
    Kicking around town some, and hunting. Will probably see 5-8k miles a year. If it holds up, I'll give it to my boy when he starts driving.

I bought a 2006 Tundra with 117k for a damn good deal back in February and it hasn't missed a beat. Strong trucks. I know a fella who has one with the original motor and transmission from 2003 and he has over 400k on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

How many miles per year do you drive? And when you say "max budget is 15k", does this mean you are paying cash? Do you do your own maintenance? How long will you keep it?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    How many miles per year do you drive? And when you say "max budget is 15k", does this mean you are paying cash? Do you do your own maintenance? How long will you keep it?
    Half of your questions he answered in his last post.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

To yo ta

I got one but it is a 2015 and double your budget but has warranty. Bumper to bumper till 2018
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Yes, cash only. I'm not a mechanic, but can handle routine maintenance. How long I keep it will depend on how well it holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    Half of your questions he answered in his last post.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Rain Man!

As you have already said, they aren't cheap, but I'd go with a Tacoma. Also, don't be scared of the 1998-2002 models if you can find one with decent miles on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    I'd stay away from the 3 valve Ford 5.4s in that year range, Don't know much about toyotas. You are good up to the body style change in 2007 for Chevy and GMC. They added active fuel management on all 5.3's from then on forward. If you go with a 07+ Chevy be aware of high oil consumption, sluggish on power, low compression, lifter issues that may be present or waiting to happen. The chevys with a 4.8 don't have that issue and the 6.2 like one I have does not have that either. Or find you a gas 2500 with the ly6 6.0L and you don't have to worry
    This is what I'm talking about, thanks bud. I've never really cared for the look of those pre '07 Chevy's , but if I could find a 2500, that'd be nice. Too bad about the Fords, there's a gracious plenty of them out there.

Plenty of people like to bash the Ford 3v 5.4L motors. I have an 05 f-150 with 140K on it and I don't have a single issue. If you are worried about the 5.4L you could always buy an f150 with the 4.8L. My father has one of those and its a stout little motor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    Yes, cash only. I'm not a mechanic, but can handle routine maintenance. How long I keep it will depend on how well it holds up.
    Okay, well given this data, I'm out of my element, so I defer to the resident experts. I'm not one to agree with the "conventional wisdom" of owning a vehicle until the doors fall off. I'm a serial leaser... That being said, I drive a Tundra...

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Plenty of people like to bash the Ford 3v 5.4L motors. I have an 05 f-150 with 140K on it and I don't have a single issue. If you are worried about the 5.4L you could always buy an f150 with the 4.8L. My father has one of those and its a stout little motor as well.
    They're notorious.

I own one.

KRT put a new motor in it about 10k miles ago.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!