Thread: Water leaking into 2015 Suburban?

Default Water leaking into 2015 Suburban?

Wife's suburban has a leak I assume either in the moonroof seal or the OnStar antenna where it's mated to the roof. You can get in the car after an overnight rain and there's a puddle on the driver's side Weathertech mat. It's not a huge deal as the mat collects it all and you simply lift the edge of the mat near the center of the vehicle and lift causing the water to run out on the ground.

Is this a common issue that anyone is a aware of? I assume over time it will seriously screw something like interior electronic and/or the carpet. I've been meaning to sit in the car during a rain to see if I could find some clues, but keep forgetting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Why wait for it to rain, a garden hose will pinpoint leak. Get wife to run garden hose and you get inside.

The wife's Cadi SUV has leaked a few times. One time the front passenger floorboard had about 3" of water in it after a storm and the second time the spare tire well in the back was full of water. Both times it was the sunroof drain. The front drain came unhooked from the firewall and flooded the front and the rear drain came unhooked from the rear and flooded the spare tire well. After the rear leak, we had to replace the lift gate module ($400 plus a $100 VIN reflash at the dealer). Simple fixes, just a pain to get to, lots of interior panels have to be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very common on the 2015 Tahoe, suburban and Yukon. Seems like my daughter got an upgraded onstar antenna and it fixed her Yukon. All dealerships should be very aware of this.

If that's not it, clean your sunroof drains.
    Last edited by KRT; 08-06-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Why wait for it to rain, a garden hose will pinpoint leak. Get wife to run garden hose and you get inside.
    Guess I'm completely overthinking it. That would help to isolate the source. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

What's the best way to clean the drains? I would think compressed air, but my first concern would be putting so much pressure in the line that the junctions would bust loose, thus further complicating the problem.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-06-2017 at 07:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    What's the best way to clean the drains? I would think compressed air, but my first concern would be putting so much pressure in the line that the junctions would bust loose, this complicating the problem.

Low pressure compressed air will be fine. Then make sure they're completely routed out of the vehicle like they should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife's 05 Surburban has the same issue but it's on the passenger side. She doesn't have a sun/moon roof.
    Non Supporting Member

That shit is silly. Drain thingys, they're sooo archaic. Why haven't they figured out how to engineer a sunroof after all of these years? Shit if I'll buy another vehicle with one.