Thread: Blinds retrieves in thick cover

Default Blinds retrieves in thick cover

I've been working a good bit with "overs" and "backs" and running the T drill (strictly for hunting purposes and not competition). My dog has that down perfectly in the yard and in fresh cut fields. I've noticed when we start working in really thick cover the dog runs the edges of the thickest parts and looks for paths through and around which she'll follow and can sometimes lead her farther away from the bumper. When I stop her from running in a different direction because she took the easy line, it kinda confuses her a little. Any tips on how to teach her to punch through the cover rather than go around?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Force to pile. Put a white stake at the pile in heavy cover until she gets the hang of it
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 08-02-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Just doing t work a dog doesn't really know how to run blinds.
    Do some pattern blinds.
    Then run a thousand cold blinds in not so heavy cover. And then start running them.in cover. Then it 'll know how.

And what turkey trax said. Sorry my answer was brief I was falling asleep. Make sure the dog has mastered force to pile. You don't want the dog popping and running all over everytime it gets confused. It will make pattern blind harder. Pattern blinds: The white buckets, posts, etc help give the dog a subtle hint as to where the blind is being run to. It reinforces the dogs confidence as he starts running pattern blinds. As he gets good at it start to take away the white posts and see how he does. If he starts having problems, put them back out and keep practicing. When you can run a solid pattern blind through mowed cover repeatedly without the white post ...move to mid shin high cover and run it. If the dog stumbles with this...put out the white posts again so the dog had a little help. Really take the time to watch the dog and become a team on this. You want to learn when the dog is having a hard time with the concept vs being stubborn and giving cast refusals.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 08-03-2017 at 06:36 AM.

Dang you guys know how to over-complicate things... Throw a dead animal up in the brush and if he doesn't charge right in and come out with it in his mouth, it's time to put him down... You did all you could...

I have had a dog's nose make my mark on a bird look stupid. Just meat dogs. I know what your going for though.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    I have had a dog's nose make my mark on a bird look stupid. Just meat dogs. I know what your going for though.
    Same here... Especially when you get a cripple that crawls off through the brush... I try to get my dog to use his nose every day. Hell, I even throw biscuits up on the woods while we are on walks, or in my back yard in random spots, and that mutt won't come out until he finds them. Nose is on the ground the entire time, almost in a panic trying to find it. I realize that it's unorthodox, but he doesn't lose birds. On the flip side of that, if you pull a pack of Jack Link's out in the blind, it's almost a guarantee that you are going to lose a finger or two.
    Last edited by jasonw; 08-03-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Wtf has this site become?? :shakehead:

Newb dog trainers.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Wtf has this site become?? :shakehead:

Yankee infiltration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Yankee infiltration.
    Says the guy determined to raise his kids in a village of meth heads!!!