Thread: Anyone ever fish Maui?

Default Anyone ever fish Maui?

I figure this may be a long shot, but anyone ever chartered a boat out of Maui? I will be going for 5 days for work and have one free day around Wailea. I have found some charter capts but figured I would ask here for any first hand knowledge. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a couple weeks ago on a boat out of lahaina...I was not impressed with there effort. 6 hour trip, dropped lines leaving the marina, trolled 3 hours to a buoy, caught 2 dolphin, trolled 3 hours back. I'll check the name of the boat. I think the only marina you're gonna find is in lahaina.

I fished Kaui 10 years ago. They tried but no one caught anything that day.

But the best thing about it was that at only a couple miles out you are 2000 ft deep.

Thanks for the replies. Holdin, I will be interested to hear who you went with. I see there is a marina there in Lahaina but there is also one at Wailea. We will be going in October so hopefully there will be some Marlin, tuna, or wahoo around. One boat I am looking at pretty close is "piper", a 47' cabo. About to the point to start making some phone calls to get a feel for the fishing situation over there.

It's been many many years since I was there so I am of no help. I would get on the hull truth and put some feelers out.

I did it last year and had the exact same experience as holding down the fort minus the fish. My friend lives there and he and his native neighbor swear there are big bonefish to be caught. I'd chase that if I were you or fly over to the big island and check out the volcano.

Hinatea...was the name of the boat, some guys caught some small striped and a spearfish with the start me up fishing boats. Lahaina is about 30 mins above waliea.... good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My experience was the exact same as mentioned. Never got on a plane just pulled out the marina dropped the riggers and trolled around for awhile with 4 lures out the back. Very little effort produced by the crew.
    cut\'em

captain tom. couldn't find a nicer guy
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

People that live on islands are lazy.

I like to catch Maui Mauis

Hinetea Sportfishing out of Lahaina. We did a half day trolling and crew and experience was good. Would use again!

Beware the Yankee Boat Ride! Saw several of them in Venice earlier in the summer. Facebook is full of them. Florida seems to be the capitol.

Don't forget it only cost like $80 to fly to another island to fish with a much better boat in a much better area. That's what i did, flew to kona for one day to fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    My experience was the exact same as mentioned. Never got on a plane just pulled out the marina dropped the riggers and trolled around for awhile with 4 lures out the back. Very little effort produced by the crew.
    If you could catch a grander 50 yards off the rocks, would you do it any different?

Anyone know where the general fishing grounds are in the area of Wailea? I am about to start calling capts and they can answer my questions as well but I know their MO is to get me booked. They will not be the ones to tell me to not book a trip . I wanted to do as much homework as I could before booking. This is my first and possibly last trip to hawaii and I only have one free day to get some fun in.

Most captains in Hawaii have an extra incentive for you to reel in a big blue one. You'll figure it out when you see the gaff.
    Last edited by jasonw; 08-01-2017 at 07:04 PM.

I dont really have much interest in drying one out but if that is what the boat wants then they can have at it

Booked a boat. Will update late october