Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest you have been

Default Highest you have been

No. Just no. Seriously, stop...

What is the farthest distance from the ground that you have ever used a climber to hunt deer from?

I hunted a tree at just above 20m for 2 years and it was the tits.

What you got?

About 50ft in a homemade climber. Not one of the smartest things I've ever done.

About 50 ft. Never really comfortable that high, but they didn't ever catch my wind.

25' feet. Always have been afraid of heights. That is as far as I can bring myself to go. Seems as though the sight advantage and scent advantage grow drastically from 20' to 25', therefore I'm sure I'm missing out. With that said, I will probably be hanging out around20'all year.

40-50 is enough for me.

It's surprising how much a pine will move at that height with a little wind. I prefer hard woods or at least a bigger pine these days.

Anything over 20' provides a terrible shot angle with the stick and string.......however it is nice to get high on the edge of a cutover with the rifle

About 30ft is all I normally go since I never really rifle hunt out of a climber.

I once went with a guy I worked with.

He walked me close to the tree in the pitch black on the side of a clearcut. There was pines down the side of the cutdown and he pointed and said climb that tree and climb until you get to the first limb and you will be able to see everything.

So I go to the tree I THOUGHT he pointed at and I let out climbing.

Again It's pitch black and I've never hunted here

Let me tell you, when it started breaking daylight my asshole drew up I was so high. I had climbed the wrong tree and went to the wrong bottom limb. The whole time I had a hand wrapped around that pine and one on the stand. I was scared to death.

When he came back to get me I was so high he walked under me because he was looking at one height and I was WAY above his line of sight. I whistled and he looked up and the look on his face told me I had messed up bad.

I don't know how high I was as this was before I had a rangefinder but I thought the fire department was gonna have to do a high elevation rescue
    Last edited by quack head 11; 07-30-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

The highest I've been is probably around 60'. I generally go as high as possible, which averages out about 30'. The way I look at it is , I'm no more dead from a 60' fall than I would than I would be from 20'. Just a little more time to think on the way down.

Damn if i trust my life with a dagum pine tree

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    The highest I've been is probably around 60'. I generally go as high as possible, which averages out about 30'. The way I look at it is , I'm no more dead from a 60' fall than I would than I would be from 20'. Just a little more time to think on the way down.
    I walked away from a 20' fall. It put a lot of things in perspective. Not gonna happen from a 60' drop. Just something to think about.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Y'all got to be out of your mind to be 50-60' up. 25' is tops for me and I'm not crazy about that. Fall from 50' means a funeral planning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I climbed so high in McCormick Co one time I had enough service to surf the web for a while. And if you've been to McCormick co, you know there is no service there. But seriously I used my range finder and shot it to the ground and was 18 yards from the ground so I was 54-55ish feet off the ground. I was hunting a big clear cut.

In my early 20's I would climb a tree 25-30 feet no problem and cat nap if it was slow. It my late 20's I had a stand slip on me and that was my breaking point. For years I refused to use a climber after that incident. One day a buddy convinced me to use his climber on the next morning hunt. I started climbing that morning about 45 mins before daybreak and climbed for it felt like 15 mins. The whole time I had a death grip with both hands wrapped around the tree and pouring sweat while it was in the 40's. Daylight came and I had only climbed about 12' of the ground.
    Non Supporting Member

60'. I don't go that high any more

I have been 60 but only a couple of times. The only reason I did not go higher is because I had two 30ft lines to bring my gun up and they got tight. I was not about to climb with them hanging down at 60ft. I have done it at 30 to get to 35 but not that high.

I have a good friend of mine that I have seen climb to 80 in a clear cut so he could get long shots. He likes to take 500 yard shots on the regular.

Yeah, I loved that shit. Up there you see animals doing things you never see anywhere else. Last time I tried it a couple years ago in a Summit, I got to maybe 40 and was like Nope.

Weird thing was, I would put people in my stands and they would quit halfway and tell me I was fucking nuts. But no matter what, I could not use a face away from the tree climber back then. Not even at 10 feet. Something about that turning around process would turn me to jelly...

I don't like heights but the last two years I have started using a harness with the prusik knot set up, I am currently up to twenty feet and in a holding pattern for now

About 35'.

It was in a friends stand, he had 3 10' climbing sticks, and a lock on above it. The lock on was about 2-3' above the last rung of the sticks. I would climb to the top, hug the tree, throw my left foot on the platform, shimmy up to my knees, bear hug the tree above the seat, work my way around and sit down, and then strap my safety harness in.

I'm seriously surprised I never fell, it was sketchy as can be. Probably hunted that stand 5 or 6 times.

Not sure how tall telephone poles are but I've hunted where I can look down on the top of them.