Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Persimmon?

Was back out there last night and a few had turned orange and softened up. Gave them a try. Pretty good, kinda reminds of a fig. But the seeds are huge.

The other tree, of the two producing, is slam full of them now, but they are still the unripe purple color that is pictured above.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Deer magnets.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Deer magnets.
    And coon magnets...and possum magnets.

I sat on the deck one night with my dad and watch two gray foxes get into a major war under the persimmon trees in his yard when the persimmons were dropping. He had a security light not far from the tree so we had a good view. It was an epic battle that lasted longer than I would have thought. Finally one of the foxes finally tuned tail and headed for the woods on the run. Dad had been watching deer there and that's what we were expecting to see. No deer showed up that night but those foxes put on a better show.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Everyone has to experience a green persimmon once in there life.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Tree down the road is loaded up. Not a single fruit on the trees we got. Coyotes will eat them as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Took this pic of one of my trees for comparison. This was today.

Another pic from today. These are finally ready.

This is a big tree in the open. Maybe they are later than some of the smaller ones.

'Usually takes a good frost to ripen them.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

These will be long gone by then

Y'all notice the trees that sometimes are loaded but hang onto their fruit until the seasons out and never seem to ripen up on the tree? We have a few like this and they'll have hundreds but never drop them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

the ones at the farm dropped early this year, not a single persimmon left.

I saw a tree off hwy 25 the other day that is loaded with ripe persimmons
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The trees at my place have been bare for a while now. Wonder if that will change as they mature?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I have had plenty of sterile persimmons growing like weeds all around my place but recently I found three small trees that produced fruit. Not sure what made this their year to produce but I'm excited to find some viable trees. I'm cutting down all their competition and I'll fertilize the hell out of them in the Spring and see how they do next year.

I gathered some seeds from a friend's place that has a lot of proucing trees. The internets told me I needed to wrap them in a moist a paper towel in a plastic zip lock baggie and leave them in the frig for a couple months to scarify them before planting. Tried it and didn't get a single sprout.

I was recently in Korea and they grow persimmons all over the place. Theirs are a domesticated variety on which the fruits get to the size of a medium sized tomato. I bought some at the grocery store and mashed one up and drank it with Soju (Korean Sake) like an electric smoothie. It was pretty horrible, much like what I imagine cocktails in prison taste like.

Buncha tree poets
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    The trees at my place have been bare for a while now. Wonder if that will change as they mature?
    Nope.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Y'all notice the trees that sometimes are loaded but hang onto their fruit until the seasons out and never seem to ripen up on the tree? We have a few like this and they'll have hundreds but never drop them.
    I've seen them like that and it seems like some years there are a lot more trees like that than others. As far as some trees being sterile, I just figured there might be male and female persimmon trees with the females obviously the ones that bear fruit.

There are definitely male and female when it comes to persimmons so don't cut down the ones that don't produce.

As for ones that never drop, I've never seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Nope.
    To clarify, they bore fruit and dropped really early. When i started this thread, some of them were already starting to drop. I was wondering if they would hold fruit later into the year as they matured.

I'm perplexed by the purple color. I have one tree that is also purple. Yours is only the second tree I have ever seen like that. All my others go from green to orange. But my outlier goes from blue/green to purple.

Mine also exclusively drop during bow season.