Thread: Is There Baseball In Heaven?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Is There Baseball In Heaven?

This was written by a guy from Arkansas that I have known for years. He posted it on another forum. I thought it was good enough to post here. Not bad for a an old redneck boy. Mergie
    ▬ ▬ ▬
    A couple of weeks ago my friend Martin lost his son Miguel. We were talking in Sunday school that following week about what we thought heaven would be like. My mind began to drift and I thought of Miguel, and my old baseball coach from the Arkansas Pulpwood days Johnny Dawson who passed from cancer a few years ago. I thought of Doug Smith who was his employee/assistant coach, turned Razorback Timber founder/rival, who was killed in a wreck on his way home from Felsenthal duck hunting when his teenage son fell asleep driving. I began to think of many other young men from our community, and other coaches as well, whom we had the joy of either playing with, or watching play, or that we were coached or otherwise impacted by. The Coca Cola team mentioned was coached by my American Legion Coach Randy Robertson's dad Clifton Robertson. They won 72 straight games, lost one and then won 52 more. The ironic thing about that, is my dad was the pitcher on the team that gave them the loss to break their streak. Anyway the words just began to flow out of my heart. I shed many a tear writing this, and was literally terrified to share it for fear that I would upset someone or that I had left someone from the community out. It has been received by the families of these guys way better than I could have ever dreamed. Hope you enjoy...

In loving memory of my buddy Miguel Fuentes, and other great teammates, players and coaches from our community...

"Baseball in Heaven?"

Is there baseball in heaven? Man I don't know. If there was I think the bible would have told us so.

But wait just a second, allow me to bend the meaning. Genesis does start out, in the "big inning!"

There'd be no corked or shaved bats, no baked or restitched balls. The strike zone is a mile wide and they never miss a call.

Games never get rained out, Sunday hops are the norm. And every fly ball is a big can of corn.

So just let your mind wander, like when you were a kid, when the grass seemed much greener and the field was so big.

To see Lou Gehrig at the plate, wouldn't that be a sight. He was struck down by illness in the prime of life.

Carter, Gwynn, and Puckett all gone way too soon, Mantle, Stargell and Drysdale, even "Catfish" Hunter too.

They were at the top of the class, the best at what they did. All Hall of Famers, the elite of the "Bigs".

But think for a minute of players who never reached fame. Local boys, hometown heroes who loved baseball just the same.

Imagine Dawson and Doug, on the field together again! If you grew up in the era I did, that would have to make you grin.

A Pulpwood team in Heaven? Man wouldn't that be great! Warming up on the streets of gold, hitting bombs off the pearly gates!

Billy Rhodes and Silas Hindman oversee how it's run, and Coach Clifton Robertson who led Coca Cola to 124 and 1.

Brent Kingery, Kelvin Johnson, Blake Garcia, just to name a few. Big Jake Porter and Roger "Lil Buck" Smith, my Pulpwood teammate too.

Tyler Whitley, Zach Hooper, Justin Arnold and Chad Gibbs. What a team that would be, what a great group of kids.

That's 9 in the field but no one at the plate. They needed a hitter and it was beginning to get late.

Who is that over there? someone asked from the mound. The kid toeing the dirt and staring at the ground.

I guess its the new guy that's who it must be. He's got on a jersey that says #3.

Johnny steps around the corner, from the dugout, says this is the guy I was telling y'all about.

I watched him climb thru the ranks for quite a while. A great glove at first and an infectious smile.

He stepped on to the field and gave his hat a tip. Said my names Miguel Fuentes but y'all can call me "Bean Dip".

I'd rather be playing with my team down below, but I guess this is what they call the "big show".

I can play both corners, pitch and catch too. Just tell me where you need me and that's what I'll do.

I never dreamed a year ago when I asked Christ into my heart, that there would be baseball in heaven and I'd be getting my first start.

So you guys be patient with me if I seem a little sad. I'm used to looking down to third taking signs from my dad.

He raised me up right, taught me about baseball and about life. And how to work hard and push through during struggles and strife.

But now y'all are my teammates, my boys my crew. I've got your back and y'all have mine too.

So let's get this game started, we are ready for the call, for the ump to yell out "God Bless and Play Ball!!"

So is there baseball in heaven? I guess we will find out in time. But if there is you can bet, I'll be pitching and wearing #9...
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

That's awesome

^ what he said

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

love it.

Very cool
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I thought he did really good writing that. Not bad for an old country boy. Made my eyes watery. I think that would get to anyone that played in their youth.

Miguel was his sons teammate. I remember a short while back when he asked for prayers for Miguel's parents when Miguel died unexpectedly.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

That's pretty good!
    reminds me of a lot of guys I know who played mill league ball and church league softball for years on end just for the love of the sport
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Of course there is. The better question is if Wilhelm is in attendance?

can't be heaven without baseball.

That was a great read- and would make a good country song. The memories, oh man the memories, from playin ball.

Good read.

Good Stuff!