Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SMZ's to go into effect soon

Default New SMZ's to go into effect soon

Rule set go into effect aimed at producing ‘fish factories’ in South Carolina, elsewhere
    BY GREGG HOLSHOUSER
    For The Sun News

On July 31, five bottom areas off the South Atlantic coast, including a portion of the renowned Georgetown Hole, will be closed to snapper-grouper fishing and designated as spawning special management zones (SMZs).

Within the boundaries of the SMZs, fishing for, retention and possession of 55 species in the snapper-grouper complex will be prohibited for all anglers.

Trolling for species such as dolphin, wahoo, tuna and billfish will be allowed within the SMZs.

The bottom closures are the result of the final rule of Amendment 36 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery of the South Atlantic Region, which was approved by the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council in March, 2016 and eventually signed by Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross.

The spawning SMZs are meant to protect spawning snapper-grouper species and their spawning habitat by prohibiting fishing for or harvest of the species in the designated areas.

Three of the spawning SMZs are located off the South Carolina coast, and one each off the coast of North Carolina and Florida.

Details of the five areas to be closed follow:

South Cape Lookout: This is a 5.10-square mile area on a ledge that drops from depths of 230 feet to over 330 feet and is located approximately 56 miles southeast of Beaufort Inlet, N.C.

Georgetown Hole: A 3.03-square mile portion of the sprawling Georgetown Hole will be closed. The closed area is centered around a unique spur contour which drops from 330 feet to 500 feet. The entire SMZ drops from 230 to 650 feet deep.

Areas 51 and 53: These two artificial reef areas were established by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources – Area 51 in the late 1990s and Area 53 in 2001 – but were not included among the public artificial reefs. Both areas are located southeast of Charleston, Area 51 in approximately 70 feet of water and Area 53 in approximately 105 feet of water.

S.C. DNR has used the two areas as an experimental reef site to observe the proliferation, or lack thereof, of reef species on structure with little fishing pressure.

As of July 31, the two areas will be legally protected from snapper-grouper fishing.

Warsaw Hole: This area covers 3.60-square miles and is located west of Key West, Fla., on a ledge dropping from 260 to 500 feet in depth.

The amendment includes a sunset clause that could discontinue the SMZs after 10 years, if the SAFMC allows that to occur.

“The idea is to monitor those sites,” said Mel Bell, director of the Office of Fisheries Management within the Marine Resources Division of S.C. DNR. “Either they work or they don’t. The council has the ability to renew them if they are working.”

Bell, one of three South Carolinians on the SAFMC, expects the new SMZs to become what he calls “fish factories” – areas where snapper-grouper species proliferate and spawn without receiving any fishing pressure.

Bell relates to his observations and studies of Areas 51 and 53 over the past 20 years. Soon after Area 51 was put in place in the late 1990s, Bell saw quick growth in the populations of the reef species that took to the structure.

“In a couple years we were amazingly satisfied with (Area 51),” said Bell. “Both (areas) are working quite well. The concept is if you take an area, whether naturally occurring or an area built (into an artificial reef), and leave it alone you can get an amazing amount of fish on there, have amazing abundance.”

The three other areas – South Cape Lookout, Georgetown Hole, Warsaw Hole – are all naturally occurring deep-water ledges that hold deep-water grouper species such as snowy, warsaw and speckled hind.

Of most local interest, the “spur” feature to be closed in the Georgetown Hole area has long been known as a hot spot for snowy grouper and warsaw. The area produced the South Carolina state record warsaw, a 310-pounder caught out of Murrells Inlet in 1976.

“You’ve got a really good drop in depth around a very distinct little spur feature that for whatever reason is where fish go to spawn,” said Bell. “We’ve seen pictures of huge warsaw caught years ago, that area is where those fish used to be. We know warsaw are out there and we’ve found them in spawning condition – leave them alone then you’re providing productivity for (these species).”

Bell pointed out the impact of the SMZs stretches well beyond the boundaries of the boxes, his terminology for the areas closed to snapper-grouper fishing.

“The fish will move out of the boxes and into the system,” said Bell. “When they spawn, the eggs float, they get into the current and move downstream. The production that occurs in these fish factories goes into the whole system, it doesn’t stay in the box.”

Gregg Holshouser: wholshouser@sc.rr.com

http://www.thestate.com/latest-news/...163011713.html

We need more protection for snapper. There are none around. Thank god Uncle Sam has control.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 07-21-2017 at 07:08 PM.

I read the research paper, millions of dollars spent on land, all graphics, high dollar computer models etc. Disgusting to say the least as one of the areas/artificial reefs known as area 51 was payed for by tax dollars.
    Genesis 9;2

51 and 53 were both paid for by tax dollars from federal grants. Don't know anything about your dollars spent comment. Worked on both from site selection to deployment of units etc., video surveys, tagging of fish, sample collection, blah, blah, blah. I can tell you all about it except the locations if you like.
    Last edited by aquaman; 07-22-2017 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    51 and 53 were both paid for by tax dollars from federal grants. Don't know anything about your dollars spent comment. Worked on both from site selection to deployment of units etc., video surveys, tagging of fish, sample collection, blah, blah, blah. I can tell you all about it except the locations if you like.
    So our tax dollars were spent on all of that, but you can't tell us the locations? Government at it's finest.

51 & 53 are the only ones most people will fish if they knew where they were. How many actually drop on the spur at the GTH? There's a lot of bottom out there to fish if you know where to go most of these "offshore" guys bitching just don't know how to find it. But, I would like the numbers on 51 & 53, just a corner or two.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

How can they close fishing in the areas if they don't tell you where they are at? Or do you mean the specific reefs?

Aqua, pm sent.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    How can they close fishing in the areas if they don't tell you where they are at? Or do you mean the specific reefs?
    The areas that are closed, are listed using their gps coordinates. So you should be able to find the closed areas. The "Area 51 and 53 are specific sights that were used in a study. Not the same as the closed SMZ areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

53 had tremendous potential to answer some highly relevant fisheries/MPA questions. Unfortunately the temptation was too much and once it was fished (without permission) the relevance diminished.
    Aqua, that gooey looey catch stands as the tops in my book...

duckcrazed-unique place no doubt, wish all could see the value. As far as numbers, I have been out of the "game" for eight years now, don't have the numbers, don't want the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    53 had tremendous potential to answer some highly relevant fisheries/MPA questions. Unfortunately the temptation was too much and once it was fished (without permission) the relevance diminished.
    Aqua, that gooey looey catch stands as the tops in my book...
    It DID answer questions... It proved that MPAs are not necessary. Turning it into an MPA, excuse me <cough><cough>"SMZ" was a horrible decision. Instead, they should have been creating dozens of secret reefs over the last few decades.

The only thing that they proved with this move was that "agenda" trumps science. Instead of looking at the science objectively (i.e. "Do secret reefs produce?"), they decided to push their agenda into the science. They went from a low-cost, no-need-to-enforce, productive area that very few knew about over the past 20 years to a now, widely publicly known location that they will have to spend even more cash to enforce... Government work at it's finest.
    Last edited by jasonw; 07-23-2017 at 03:08 PM.

jasonw -how wrong you are , what it did prove was that reefs produce not just congregate fish which was the "old" unproven science, if you have not read the results of the work on 51 and 53 then you have no idea of what was done. The red snapper debacle has left a very bad taste in peoples mouth and now a few see anything science related as bad. I will assure you sir, duckcrazed can verify, that I know all the intimate details of those two areas. By the way, just so you know ever wonder why there is no mention of Area 52? think about that for awhile.

Well played sir. Well played indeed

jasonw -how wrong you are , what it did prove was that reefs produce not just congregate fish which was the "old" unproven science, if you have not read the results of the work on 51 and 53 then you have no idea of what was done. The red snapper debacle has left a very bad taste in peoples mouth and now a few see anything science related as bad. I will assure you sir, duckcrazed can verify, that I know all the intimate details of those two areas. By the way, just so you know ever wonder why there is no mention of Area 52? think about that for awhile.
    Where are the results of the study on these areas? Google doesn't turn up anything.

Just PM me one corner on area 52 please. I'll do the rest. Thanks.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Marsh chicken- get in touch with SCDNRs Artificial Reef Section. They have what you are looking for.

Salty-52 is a totally different beast. No corners is all I will say.

Salty-52 is a totally different beast. No corners is all I will say.
    Were all these "super secret" reefs south of Charleston?

Last comment on the subject from me, research is still going on at these sites, they have already been "compromised". As earlier stated, I retired eight years ago but still maintain contact with my old workmates. Contact them for any updated information. Been fun.