Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Africa Advice

Default Africa Advice

Leaving to go to South Africa s week from Monday. I think I have most everything covered, but I know some folks on here have been. What do I need to know that isn't your basic stuff?

I've been. There really wasn't anything I wish I would have had. Bring the basics, binoculars, good pair of boots, fleece to wear in the morning, camera, etc.

I think if anything, I overpacked.

Also .... That flight sucks.

Yeah not looking forward to 17hrs. It's the main reason my kids aren't going.

I've been to Africa three times- most recently in June. I'm happy to give advice, but need more info on what you're doing over there. Don't over-pack. All you need is two sets of hunting clothes and one set of camp clothes. Cool in evenings and hot in daytime. Good socks are a must if you're doing a lot of walking. I really like a harness on my binocs. Good camera is nice to have as well. If you are rifle hunting, I hope you've been practicing shooting off of sticks as it's a whole new world. Good luck.
    Carolina Counsel

Done told you.... You live there now. Oh take some 6.0 parts over there u might can sellem

Plains game with a rifle. Nothing crazy, I'm not all that interested in chasing too damn hard. I'm going to have a good time, not solely to add to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by santeeswamper View Post
    Done told you.... You live there now. Oh take some 6.0 parts over there u might can sellem
    Lol. I still have 1-6.0 need all the extra parts for it.

I went this past april. The flight does suck, sleeping pills will make it better. We hunted around empangeni/Richards bay area. The ticks were awful, spray your clothes down with permethrin prior to leaving. I got bit by a tick helping drag a zebra back to the truck, taking doxycycline and staying out of the sun is overated. I overpacked as well. We had the house keeper do our laundry everyday, I could have got by with packing less clothes. Go ahead and get your tip money/spending money converted to rand before you leave. Charging cell phones and cameras was a bit of a challenge for us, get an adapter. As said above, a good camera is a must, beautiful country over there. Viber or whatsapp will save you a bunch of money when you try to communicate with people back in the states. A couple of the guys in our group had some big cell phone bills upon returning to the states. If you rent a car, be prepared, they can't drive over there, and obey the speed limits.

My advise is don't take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time on the flight, and stay away from prostitutes. I wish some one had given me this advise before I went.

Im jealous. Take plenty of pics. Plains game and maybe a cape for me one day.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

been there, its a great trip. the ticks are really bad and the micro ones are worse. you will over pack. most electronics these days dont need a current converter just a plug adapter. dont do your currency conversion at the airport, if you can order some in time a bank will prob give you the best rates that or and ATM over there as long as your bank doesnt charge a bunch of fees. if you drive at all its on the other side of the road and the road are pretty bad out in hunting country.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Im jealous. Take plenty of pics. Plains game and maybe a cape for me one day.
    Is Sumter and Africa not pretty much the same?

Ticks are dicks. Cool.

Not driving over there, not interested in dealing with that BS. Going to be picked up from the airport and dropped off at the airport. Direct flights from US to SA.

My wife is going and taking her expensive ass camera. It will probably be the worst part of the experience. She'll want to take a fucking picture of every tree we pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Is Sumter and Africa not pretty much the same?
    Prob worse. Bet they drive worse in sumter
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Don't get AIDS

Fly through Ethiopia and buy all the coffee beans you can afford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't stare directly into the eyes of a Warlord

Hurry boy , it's waiting there for you
    Last edited by Highstrung; 07-20-2017 at 08:34 PM.

I'm not an old man, but that's what I have to say about that.