Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supremes give farmers the nod to pump away

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Water is water, these man made lakes . I got no problem with pumping out of. I'm talking about natural streams, branches and overflows.
    Help me understand this part.

Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    Help me understand this part.
    I'm not in the 5%er group. But if pumping out a small river, branch or creek which depth is determined by rain is a good idea , so be it. This pumping surface water will probably establish a watchdog group that will prove the rewards is not worth the risk.

I'm not in the 5%er group. But if pumping out a small river, branch or creek which depth is determined by rain is a good idea , so be it. This pumping surface water will probably establish a watchdog group that will prove the rewards is not worth the risk.
    I don't know what the 5%er group is. You're saying we should not allow small streams to be pumped dry or to drastically reduce their flows. I agree with that for any size stream. I don't believe that is what is happening with this potato farm.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    My well is 520ft.

There are no farms pulling out anything that deep anywhere around me. Timber and cattle only.

But, in a lot of SC, a 500ft+ well is not unheard of for a house.
    You are not in the Edisto watershed and your well pumps 6gpm. That ain't hardly enough to water a 10x10 garden
    cut\'em

True. My house s 420' and I pull 8gpm. My irrigation well, very close to the Edisto, is 94' pulling 80 gpm. Both 4" and obviously more hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

How big is your farm? How many pivots? What's the closest watershed to pump out of.
    Me personally zero, my extended family more than a few. None on the river. My experience and understanding of the issue, more than most around here..... This side of the world doesn't even know what water rights are.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 07-20-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    cut\'em

Water rights? so is fair the thousands of acres this water pass through gets swallower and swallower downstream cause they going to pump full steam ahead. What if you own a piece of property downstream and it went from full pool to a ditch. You will be a little pissed.