Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supremes give farmers the nod to pump away

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The House and Senate elect judges. We have equal votes. The house has 124 members. The senate has 46.

Therefore the house tends to decide the election. There are certain members who have worked hard to finally get three conservatives. I believe you will notice the difference.
    DT,

You have to understand the hilarity in your initial statement, right? A Republican bragging about a Republican-controlled general assembly appointing/electing "conservative" judges. I think Chris Rock had a joke about this...something about fathers who brag about taking care of their children...I'll let you figure out the punch line.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    DT,

You have to understand the hilarity in your initial statement, right? A Republican bragging about a Republican-controlled general assembly appointing/electing "conservative" judges. I think Chris Rock had a joke about this...something about fathers who brag about taking care of their children...I'll let you figure out the punch line.
    Those same "conservatives" just raised taxes.

Hey Tim, since you live in Georgia, I think one idea that might be helpful is to mind your own fucking business

All the water SC uses in a growing season wouldn't even make 3 days in Georgia. Those bastards water every square inch.
    cut\'em

DT,

The Supreme Court justices are there until they retire. It takes years to undo the old democrat control.

There are multiple difficulties with judge elections. There are geographical, gender, political, racial, degree of experience, old bitterness, former legislators, rumors, prior judicial decisions and on and on...

All it takes is a candidate residing in a metropolitan area like Charleston, Greenville or Columbia and they get their republican hometown delegation support and all the democrats in the state and you have a tight race.

Conservatives have to actually run a good race to win.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 07-19-2017 at 09:27 PM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    All the water SC uses in a growing season wouldn't even make 3 days in Georgia. Those bastards water every square inch.
    See this guy knows a thing or two. Ride down to south GA and start counting pivots. I guarantee you the tater farm is making a small dent compared to what's getting pumped out of the Edisto ground water currently. Sure, the old lady in The State newspaper lost water for a day and they wrote a big article about it. It looked like they were onto something until she admitted she was on County water.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 07-20-2017 at 07:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    These farmers are fixing to deplete the surface water and if they dry the branch,creeks and rivers up there is no punishment. Let them drill wells like the rest of the farmers. This will bite SC in the ass
    you sure as shit dont want them drilling wells. Look what is happening out west, their aquifers are running low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

DT,

You have to understand the hilarity in your initial . I think Chris Rock had a joke about this...something about fathers who brag about taking care of their children...I'll let you figure out the punch line.
    You know, that bit jumps in my head every time I read on here people describing themselves as a "working man".

The required horse power on center point system has gone up 10hp in the last 20 years in south GA. This is result of well draw down, and this a problem. I know out west USGS keep tabs on well static water levels, not sure on the east coast because water is not strictly controlled. If it was me surface withdraw is less of a concern. Just the ask folks at Hilton Head, they are on reverse osmosis for portion their water supply as result of well draw down.

Those of you beating your chest saying at least we aren't drilling wells like other states are, are showing your ignorance.

I have said it before and will say it again. As a whole this state does an awful job of capturing and utilizing available surface water. I would rather see a man pull out if the river instead of a well for multiple reasons but it isn't feasible for those not on a river. Our aquifers are different than those out west. We are drawing water from a lot deeper than the Nebraska crowd, they would strike at the thought of a 900ft well. We also have a lot of humidity which slows our ET. The only thing similar really is we both water with pivots. Really we need dumbasses from all sides to stay out of the discussion and let educated parties figure this thing out, which just eliminated 99.5% of SCDUCKS.
    cut\'em

I have said it before and will say it again. As a whole this state does an awful job of capturing and utilizing available surface water. I would rather see a man pull out if the river instead of a well for multiple reasons but it isn't feasible for those not on a river. Our aquifers are different than those out west. We are drawing water from a lot deeper than the Nebraska crowd, they would strike at the thought of a 900ft well. We also have a lot of humidity which slows our ET. The only thing similar really is we both water with pivots. Really we need dumbasses from all sides to stay out of the discussion and let educated parties figure this thing out, which just eliminated 99.5% of SCDUCKS.
    I'll admit I don't know a lot about the situation. This is what I do know, I can drink water out of my well with no purification of any kind. I can't do that with river water. Not with out getting sick anyway. Therefore it seems like it is better for them to pull out the river than a well which could be someone's good drinking water.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I'll admit I don't know a lot about the situation. This is what I do know, I can drink water out of my well with no purification of any kind. I can't do that with river water. Not with out getting sick anyway. Therefore it seems like it is better for them to pull out the river than a well which could be someone's good drinking water.
    In this state the irrigation wells are a lot deeper and in a different aquifer than the house wells. At least in the Edisto watershed area. Nobody drills a 500-900ft house well, they just move somewhere worth living at that point.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I worry far more about the future of our deepwater aquifers than I do river water pumping.
    Agreed. If a river is overdrawn, we can recognize it and stop the withdrawal. Rainwater will restore the flow of the river within a few years at worst. Aquifers can take thousands of years to restore.

Say the farmer withdraws 2 million gallons per day (MGD). That works out to 3.09 cubic feet per second (cfs). I'm not sure exactly where the intake is, but the South Fork of the Edisto near Cope had a flow of 937 cfs at 8:00 AM today. That means the farmer is withdrawing approximately 0.3% of the flow of the river. The July 20 average (26 years) is 477 cfs, that would be 0.65%. Doesn't seem too bad, but withdrawals for many uses would add up.
    Last edited by Beauregard; 07-20-2017 at 09:40 AM.

How big is your farm? How many pivots? What's the closest watershed to pump out of.

In this state the irrigation wells are a lot deeper and in a different aquifer than the house wells. At least in the Edisto watershed area. Nobody drills a 500-900ft house well, they just move somewhere worth living at that point.
    My well is 520ft.

There are no farms pulling out anything that deep anywhere around me. Timber and cattle only.

But, in a lot of SC, a 500ft+ well is not unheard of for a house.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    My well is 520ft.

There are no farms pulling out anything that deep anywhere around me. Timber and cattle only.

But, in a lot of SC, a 500ft+ well is not unheard of for a house.
    That's a deep well for sure. You had to go that deep to get to the 2nd aquifer? Around here, the top aquifer can be hit digging by hand. The second one is 300' and the third one is in the range SD is talking about.

I had to go that deep to get any water worth talking about.

I'm still at like 6gpm.

Neighbors all around have multiple wells because they gave up past 400ft.

*ETA: I'm not worried about the 6gpm because I'm no farmer. I've got ~600 gal of storage (IIRC) in the well itself before a 10gpm pump outruns the influx. I've got water so close to the top of the well, I can see it if I pull the cap. I did size my sprinkler orifices/zones for 5gpm so, I'm not worried about irrigation either.
    Last edited by turbo; 07-20-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I wonder where the saying "colder than a well diggers ass" comes from?