Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Truck

Just buy both. Drive your gasser when you go to get groceries and your diesel when you hook up the camper and go to Lakewood.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I did the same thing.

Drove diesels for 15-16 years when I was trailering big boats, 7.3, 6.0, 6.6...then went to a 5.0 f150(that was absolutely useless) for a couple years and went back to a gas GMC. The diesel is great the couple times a year that you actually need it, but I can rent one and drive it like I stole it when I need one and turn that bucket of problems back in and let some other poor sap deal with the emissions and cooling problems. The other 50 weeks out of the year the gas is just fine and considerably cheaper to run....all the way from initial acquisition costs to maint to the fuel/DEF you burn every day.

My company has upwards of 60 trucks ranging from 3/4 ton to Class A rigs. Every 3/4 and 1 ton truck I have purchased in the past 2-2.5 years has been gas. If you need a diesel for work like we do, it needs to be in a 350-550 platform anyway. The problems I see in our fleet of late model diesels is mind boggling. Ford 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 all have problems....D-maxx is the same thing. Everything is emissions related...DEF deletes, EGR bypass/deletes, cooling systems, etc. These are not 500-800 dollar fixes....2.5-3k at a pop. Just to get the damn things to run like they are supposed to in the first place. $150 services(performed by my staff mechanic...that's just fluids and filters) and more expensive fuel. Now compare my maint numbers on my gas trucks(GM 6.0, 6.2 Ford 6.2, and Ram 5.7) to the diesels and your head will explode. The GM 6.0 gas engines run forever! $30 oil change and maybe a couple knock sensors and that's it....and my guys can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet. We have 250k mile 6.0 trucks that I would leave for Arkansas in tomorrow and have 6.6 and 6.7 diesels that I wouldn't drive to lunch in today.

Sure yall are going to puff out your chest say "but, but, but..... they don't have any power".....Bullshit. If you think you need a diesel just to be able to drag your glitter boat, bay boat or jon boat around the southeast, then by all means go ahead and buy your bro-dozer, drop the ass end, throw a cone in the back, and roll all the coal you like sitting in front of your single wide. You'll be like our resident jarhead looking to buy a mo-ped so as not to put miles on a whooptie ass diesel he cant keep running. If you are pulling 10k plus pounds every week that's one thing...pulling 8k pounds two-three times a year??? You're just looking for an excuse to have a perceived status symbol.

The numbers aren't always "cool" but they never lie.
    Close the thread, the truth has been spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    Close the thread, the truth has been spoken.
    What truth?
    More fuel = more boost!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    90% of diesel owners probably don't need a diesel, me included but damn I love a diesel truck with black wheels.....
    Ahem...

Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I cannot stand listening to a gas motor scream trying to pull something. Had a F350 with a 6.2, with an empty gooseneck behind it the damn thing stayed north of 3500rpm at 55mph and you would literally watch the gas gauge drop as in 200 +/- miles to the tank with the big tank.
    I probably don't need a diesel everyday but I run them to 300k and when I want to pull something I don't want to pussy foot around.
    cut\'em

What truth?
    Majority of the diesels owners don't actually need a diesel.

I want one, have for a few years but in the end, I just don't need one.

They do look sharp with black rims though

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Ahem...
    I don't think I drive around with my chest poked out. I do actually pull a fair amount. Not sure how a gas 6.0 would like my camper, Kubota, or the cars I tow from time to time but would do it no doubt. I get in my diesel, pump up the air bags and roll out with cruise set. Truck doesn't down shift pulling hills nor does my tach read 3200 RPM's
    Last edited by KRT; 07-21-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

If someone wants something that's one thing. Spend your money however you damn well please but don't justify it by saying you need it.

Completely different story when dealing with our better halves though...."Darlin' the new boat NEEDS 20 grand worth of new electronics"
    Last edited by FishSticker; 07-21-2017 at 08:15 AM.

I did the same thing.

Drove diesels for 15-16 years when I was trailering big boats, 7.3, 6.0, 6.6...then went to a 5.0 f150(that was absolutely useless) for a couple years and went back to a gas GMC. The diesel is great the couple times a year that you actually need it, but I can rent one and drive it like I stole it when I need one and turn that bucket of problems back in and let some other poor sap deal with the emissions and cooling problems. The other 50 weeks out of the year the gas is just fine and considerably cheaper to run....all the way from initial acquisition costs to maint to the fuel/DEF you burn every day.

My company has upwards of 60 trucks ranging from 3/4 ton to Class A rigs. Every 3/4 and 1 ton truck I have purchased in the past 2-2.5 years has been gas. If you need a diesel for work like we do, it needs to be in a 350-550 platform anyway. The problems I see in our fleet of late model diesels is mind boggling. Ford 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 all have problems....D-maxx is the same thing. Everything is emissions related...DEF deletes, EGR bypass/deletes, cooling systems, etc. These are not 500-800 dollar fixes....2.5-3k at a pop. Just to get the damn things to run like they are supposed to in the first place. $150 services(performed by my staff mechanic...that's just fluids and filters) and more expensive fuel. Now compare my maint numbers on my gas trucks(GM 6.0, 6.2 Ford 6.2, and Ram 5.7) to the diesels and your head will explode. The GM 6.0 gas engines run forever! $30 oil change and maybe a couple knock sensors and that's it....and my guys can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet. We have 250k mile 6.0 trucks that I would leave for Arkansas in tomorrow and have 6.6 and 6.7 diesels that I wouldn't drive to lunch in today.

Sure yall are going to puff out your chest say "but, but, but..... they don't have any power".....Bullshit. If you think you need a diesel just to be able to drag your glitter boat, bay boat or jon boat around the southeast, then by all means go ahead and buy your bro-dozer, drop the ass end, throw a cone in the back, and roll all the coal you like sitting in front of your single wide. You'll be like our resident jarhead looking to buy a mo-ped so as not to put miles on a whooptie ass diesel he cant keep running. If you are pulling 10k plus pounds every week that's one thing...pulling 8k pounds two-three times a year??? You're just looking for an excuse to have a perceived status symbol.

Buy a 6.0 and let the guts hang out of it 8 weekends a year.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."- Robert E. Lee

I don't think I drive around with my chest poked out. I do actually pull a fair amount. Not sure how a gas 6.0 would like my camper, Kubota, or the cars I tow from time to time but would do it no doubt. I get in my diesel, pump up the air bags and roll out with cruise set. Truck doesn't down shift pulling hills nor does my tach read 3200 RPM's
    I was actually just referring to your comment validating what I said about "90% don't need a diesel truck"...wasn't expecting to catch YOU on that last cast.

I admit 90 % don't need diesels, but boy do I love diesels..... especially the Ford 6.0 and 6.4's!

It's friday guys, simmer down!
    More fuel = more boost!!

If we are going to get into the discussion of needing a diesel vs wanting one then why don't we discuss needing a truck in general vs wanting one? I mean I don't always need my truck to go to the pharmacy but that's what I end up driving.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

It's about like my need to drive an excursion around town as a daily driver. It's American as fuck. I point down at compacts. They might not think they're inferior, but they are.

I admit 90 % don't need diesels, but boy do I love diesels..... especially the Ford 6.0 and 6.4's!
    Nothing but the gravy...LOL

Believe me...if you were down here at the coast you would have had six digits plus worth of our money on those engines alone over the last 4-5 years.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 07-21-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    It's about like my need to drive an excursion around town as a daily driver. It's American as fuck. I point down at compacts. They might not think they're inferior, but they are.
    'Merican AF

I did the same thing.

100%

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    50% of the time I don't need one but I'm glad to have it when I do. How hard is it to go back to gas, I had a 98 K 2500 with the 6.5L in it. At 50K I was working on the 3rd set of injectors, it got 9 mpg and wouldn't pull a wet noodle out of a cat's ass. I traded it on a 2000 F350 with the 7.3, that was a badass truck. I tried to go back to gas and a 1/2 ton, it lasted about 2 months. The RAM I have now is the best towing vehicle I have ever driven and doesn't have a bad ride at all even unloaded.
    Had two of those Rams and have another one in the company. They all ride like shit. Although it rode better than the F250 I had. I am now in a F150 and won't go back.

Hey Ralph
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    The bootlegger gets it.