Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Access Point

Default Access Point

If I run a cat5 from the AT&T's modem/router from one side of the house to the far side of my house where my office is and install an old router that I turn into a wireless AP, will my overall network take a performance hit?

I'm getting around 50Mps download/upload near the router on WiFi and when I move over to my office, I'm in the single digits. I want to replicate the speed all over the house.

I have pretty good signal, but it seems the speed drops off in the office.

I tried an extender or repeater (whichever one plugs into the wall and uses the current network to create a new one months ago. I didn't like that. I want one WiFi network for the entire house.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

You won't take a hit unless your office is utilizing bandwidth.

You'll only get whatever bandwidth you're paying for over the entire system of networks/access points.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    I tried an extender or repeater (whichever one plugs into the wall and uses the current network to create a new one months ago. I didn't like that. I want one WiFi network for the entire house.
    My house is wired for cat5e, and I have the repeater\extender on every floor. I had it professionally installed, but they were able to configure it so that it's one network no matter where I am. Basically every computer, tv is plugged in, but phones and laptops are wireless. So, it's definitely possible...
    Last edited by jasonw; 07-26-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Ok, I'm going to knock this project out this week. Should I go Cat5 or Cat6? I'm looking for an indoor/outdoor rated option. None of it will be in the ground, I will just be zip tieing to some old coax that is already in place on the house.

I was going to get this to do the terminations:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxmoral-Crim...imp+tool&psc=1

bump

cat5 and that set looks good to me. how long will the run be?

Default Access Point

Ok, I'm going to knock this project out this week. Should I go Cat5 or Cat6? I'm looking for an indoor/outdoor rated option. None of it will be in the ground, I will just be zip tieing to some old coax that is already in place on the house.

Where you located? I have a set of those crimpers and the rj45 ends you can use, if you're close. As Phillip stated above, distance could be an issue, but as long as you stay under 300', cat5e or cat6 will do fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by billbuster84; 07-26-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Typically, cat 5e is going to be good enough for most residential use. If most of your network traffic comes in from the internet (i.e. streaming movies from netflix), then your bottleneck is not going to be the network inside of your house. It's going to be the internet coming into your house. In that scenario, you shouldn't notice a difference between cat 5e and cat 6a. If you were doing some high traffic between 2 endpoints in your house then maybe you would want to choose 6a, but that's not the norm. Historically, even in office buildings, cat 6a is used for the "backbone" and then cat 5e is run to the individual workstations.

So, personally, I don't see the added cost justified as you will probably never tap into that delta between cat 5e and cat 6a.

And the reality is, most of the residential houses out there are using wireless, if anything, which is even slower. So, it would be hard for the industry to advance too quickly to outpace your cat 5e since they would orphan everyone else.

jasonw got all long winded and shit.

Cliffs Notes: Use Cat5e
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post

I literally had just finished my coffee, so I can't be held accountable for that...

Run Cat6e, end of story.
    "run and gun guide service"

^^ I'm no IT guy, but I disagree with this guy.^^
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post

But he used some rad lingo...

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    cat5 and that set looks good to me. how long will the run be?
    Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    Where you located? I have a set of those crimpers and the rj45 ends you can use, if you're close. As Phillip stated above, distance could be an issue, but as long as you stay under 300', cat5e or cat6 will do fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    Typically, cat 5e is going to be good enough for most residential use. If most of your network traffic comes in from the internet (i.e. streaming movies from netflix), then your bottleneck is not going to be the network inside of your house. It's going to be the internet coming into your house. In that scenario, you shouldn't notice a difference between cat 5e and cat 6a. If you were doing some high traffic between 2 endpoints in your house then maybe you would want to choose 6a, but that's not the norm. Historically, even in office buildings, cat 6a is used for the "backbone" and then cat 5e is run to the individual workstations.

So, personally, I don't see the added cost justified as you will probably never tap into that delta between cat 5e and cat 6a.

And the reality is, most of the residential houses out there are using wireless, if anything, which is even slower. So, it would be hard for the industry to advance too quickly to outpace your cat 5e since they would orphan everyone else.
    I'm in Georgia and plan on buying the kit to maybe expand in the future or help the neighbor, etc. I appreciate the tool offer.

I have AT&T's fiber service that is "up to 100Mbps" I can up it to their gigapower which is "up to 1000Mbps" if I need to but I don't think I will. Currently next to the router on WiFi, I can peg 50-100+Mbps download/upload depending on time of the day. When I walk over to the office and do a speed test on my phone/PC, the signal is weaker and the speed drops considerably.

On the side of the house where I am going to run the line to the AP is 100-125' of network cable. Ultimately what I am looking to do is replicate the signal/speed where the router is located on the office side of the house. I plan on having the AP for my cell and other devices, but running cable from the AP to my PC/printer. Anyone see an issue with that?

I've been shopping online for the various versions of network cable that are rated for outdoor use. What's the rating "code/acronym" I should be looking for on an outdoor rated network cable? Sounds like Cat5e will do the trick but if Cat6 isn't much more I may spring for it.

If anyone has any that will work and is willing to part with, I'll pay for the wire/shipping. 125' would be ideal.

I've probably got 80ft or so of the direct burial Cat5e. I'm certain I don't have 125ft.

When buying it, just specify that you want direct burial cable and they'll hook you up.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Thanks, turbo. I have been shopping it online and called the local Home Depot. They seem to only sell 100'/500'/1000' lengths and the guy on the phone didn't seem terribly competent when I asked about outdoor rating. He told me they used to sell it by the foot but have since stopped.

This says indoor/outdoor, I'm not putting it directly in the ground or in conduit. Would it be ok to zip tie to coax that is already on the house?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-5...Cable/50101610

Yeah, the only place I found it here in Cola was at Cable and Connections on Leaphart Rd.

I'm sure you can find a good network store relatively close by down your way.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

I need to pull some through 120' of 3/4" under ground conduit. Which wire do I use, cat5 or cat6. Since it will be in a conduit buried does it need to be underground wire?
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 07-26-2017 at 01:10 PM.

If you're running new cable, put Cat6 in.