Thread: AC Compressor Start - Amp Draw...

Default AC Compressor Start - Amp Draw...

The one thing I've noticed since we had a new AC system installed is that when the system starts up nearly everything electrical on in the house dims or slows down to a MUCH greater degree than with the old system (had a Lenox 2 stage system for over 20 years). The new system is a Trane XR17 - 4 ton - 16 SEER, 2-Stage AC system (with the aluminum coil). The old Lennox system was about 11 SEER and was 4.5 or 5 ton.

I'd have to pull the old records out to see what the amp draw was on the Lennox, but it's hard to believe that this new, more efficient system should be dimming the electrical system like this more than the old one did.

Would it make sense, and is it doable, to install a larger Start/Run capacitor on the compressor unit to reduce this start-up draw load (listed as being up to 45 amps, with about 28 amps running)? And, if so, would it really make any difference?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I would have the installer check all the connections first. A bad or loose connection will cause a voltage drop and dim lighting.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I would have the installer check all the connections first. A bad or loose connection will cause a voltage drop and dim lighting.
    That was my first thought and they've supposedly been checked. It's been two years since the installation so I figured if there was a loose connection missed it ought to have shown up by now. I've just gotten tired of forgetting to ask about it again.
    ~ George Washington

Loose neutral in panel or loose lugs in meter base.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Loose neutral in panel or loose lugs in meter base.
    I can check the neutral in the panel tomorrow, along with the fuse box by the AC unit, etc.

As for lugs in the meter base, I assume you're taking about Duke's meter mount? They just did a live changeout with the new meter about a month ago and at least the guy didn't say anything to me about seeing any evidence of arcing, etc. However, nothing would have changed there during the change in the two AC systems two years back.

I think I'll call the AC company and talk to the owner again tomorrow. If this is a possible installation problem vs a parts design question, he should be messing with it since it's under warranty. I'm just trying to understand the possible issues and solution options.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

Install a boost capacitor on it. It's also called a hard start kit. Problem will be solved. I have an HVAC business. See this a lot.

Aluminum wire, which is what the power company runs to the meter (and you may possibly have it run into your panel from there), heats up, cools off under high loads and repeats the cycle until the wire becomes loose in the lug. It's worth checking. If you have aluminum from the meter into the house panel, I'd check the lugs in the house panel also.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I can check the neutral in the panel tomorrow, along with the fuse box by the AC unit, etc.

As for lugs in the meter base, I assume you're taking about Duke's meter mount? They just did a live changeout with the new meter about a month ago and at least the guy didn't say anything to me about seeing any evidence of arcing, etc. However, nothing would have changed there during the change in the two AC systems two years back.

I think I'll call the AC company and talk to the owner again tomorrow. If this is a possible installation problem vs a parts design question, he should be messing with it since it's under warranty. I'm just trying to understand the possible issues and solution options.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksmoker View Post
    Install a boost capacitor on it. It's also called a hard start kit. Problem will be solved. I have an HVAC business. See this a lot.
    I'll check on this today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aluminum wire, which is what the power company runs to the meter (and you may possibly have it run into your panel from there), heats up, cools off under high loads and repeats the cycle until the wire becomes loose in the lug. It's worth checking. If you have aluminum from the meter into the house panel, I'd check the lugs in the house panel also.
    Yes, I've got aluminum wire to the meter and then to the main panel. Will have to check those. I assume I need to get an electrician to pull the meter...?
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I'll check on this today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I've got aluminum wire to the meter and then to the main panel. Will have to check those. I assume I need to get an electrician to pull the meter...?
    If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you should.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you should.
    I checked the lugs on the in-feed of the main breaker and was able to turn them 1/8+ turn tighter. I guess that's not too bad for almost 24 years of not being touched. I couldn't tighten the ground lug on the in-feed line at all.

I was able to tighten the screws on the breakers themselves a little, and checked numerous other breakers, some of which took a touch of tightening, but nothing great.

The only question I have about pulling the meter is the serialized clip on the cabinet. But then doesn't Duke come out for free to pull the meter to keep homeowners from messing with them? If so, since I'd only be checking the tightness of the lugs, I have to believe he'd stick around for 30 seconds to reinstall it on the spot.

I've got a call in to the owner of the AC company. I could trace all the connections, etc, but since the system is under warranty I figure it's his responsibility to make sure it's right. I'll also ask him about the 'Hard Start Kit' and will go from there.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 07-18-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    ~ George Washington

I don't know about Duke, I'm on Co-op, and I've cut the seal and pulled it if I've needed to, they've never said anything. The aluminum swelling and shrinking is the reason they quit making romex out of it and only use it for service entrance wiring. A buddy of mines house was doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Checked everything and couldn't find a problem. Crawled under the house and the S.E. cable from the meter to his panel looked like something out of an Alien movie, lightning had run through it and the covering was blown off and the ground/neutral that is wrapped around the two hot legs was sticking out like fingers. He was lucky it didn't burn his house down.

What concerns me more are these stories about these new smart meters blowing and starting fires after power outage restarts. The more technology that gets added to things, the less reliable they become.
    ~ George Washington