Thread: Shaded Area Food Plots

Default Shaded Area Food Plots

What's your go-to food plot mix that will do well in a shaded area (road bed)? This is mainly going to be a bowstand and I can get seed in the ground by the end of this week.

Thanks
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I have had luck with those Throw and Grows mixes.... but they contain some rye which will grow on my truck hood

which direction does the road run?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Just throw some corn out bout 2 or 3 days before you hunt.

Lolz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you asked because I have been wondering the same thing. I want to plant some food plots under the 15 year old pines at my place.

I did find this though.

http://www.whitetailsunlimited.com/c...tations.phtml/
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 07-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.

In pines and roadways, especially ones running east and west, I have had good luck with cereal grains and clover. Have also planted IC Peas with success as well. With plots in pine stands, expect the soil to be acidic. Go ahead and get a soil test and amend the soil per recommendations.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Gut,
    my dad suggested iron clay peas as well and I will probably give them a try but I want to have a mixed plot as well. I don't know right off which direction this road runs but I will double check this weekend when I am plowing it up. just trying to find something I can go ahead and plant now and hunt over in September.

this is a 40acre tract bout 5min from the house. I'm going to be putting in a much larger food plot on the power line and I think it will be iron clay peas and I will probably plant some wheat as well but it will not be planted until later (end of August/1st of September).

I thought you wanted fall food plots. You cant beat american vetch for summer food plots. it will grow like a weed and deer love it.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I thought you wanted fall food plots. You cant beat american vetch for summer food plots. it will grow like a weed and deer love it.
    for one particular section on this property, I want something I can hunt over in September.

Last edited by Duck cutter; 07-25-2017 at 05:43 PM.

if you plant American vetch now you can hunt over it in September. It's a summer food plot. It also does well in slightly acidic soils in my experience. It's the best early season bow food plot I have found. It will grow till a hard frost so November in another words. My bow food plots are American vetch an alyce clover. I have had pictures of 20 deer in a 1/4 acre food plot in late august before I pulled the canes to rut areas.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 07-25-2017 at 07:36 PM.

thanks, where are you buying it from?

It depends. I have ordered it from Hancock seed online because you can order it in smaller poundage. It's not the cheapest seed but it works. If you are only doing a little here and a little there it's no worse than store bought mixes.

I think Wanamaker has it but I don't know what sizes they sell it in.

I'm attaching the info in the food plot book I have. It says plant it through June. I have planted it in July but like anything else it needs rain to get started. But that's going To be everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 07-25-2017 at 10:51 PM.

thanks

PICT0196.jpgPICT0148.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]27310[/ATTAC

Here are some pictures in a food plot of alyce clover and American jointvetch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As will said, those road beds in pine stands will be super acidic. IC peas will just about grow in concrete but won't last a week if you have any type of deer population. Whitetail institute throw and grow blend has worked well for me in the past in shade
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

American Jointvetch is also known as Aeschynomene and I have been planting it for years. It grows great in shaded areas like road beds, shooting lanes, etc. Wannamaker Seed in St. Matthews does sell it by itself but I prefer the mix he sells with Alyce Clover (which is not a typical clover). It is a very small seed and I simply throw on ground that you have plowed or disced up and let the rain drive it in the ground. You can drag a chain link fence or drag harrow over it if you prefer. The leaves look like a small Mimosa tree leaf but it is loaded with protein. It may take a little while for deer to find and try it but I really like this for summer and early fall foodplots. A number of years ago I killed a nice 8 point coming out of one of my plots in early morning and when I walked up on him I thought he had a tumor in his mouth. His cheeks were swollen on both sides like he had a softball in there. When I opened his mouth, all I could see was the aeschynomene. He was going to "chew his cud". I have never seen or heard of deer doing this before. I told Luther Wannamaker I had some pictures I was going to sell him that would make him rich when put on the cover of his seed sheets, but on a trip to Charlotte, some low life broke into my truck and stole my camera with the roll of film still in it.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!