Thread: SSD Hard Drive upgrade

Default SSD Hard Drive upgrade

I've got a seven year old quad-core 8GB WIN10 desktop that's beefy enough to handle the Photoshop, Excel, Access, surfing that I do. The only thing that has been worrying me is the mechanical 1TB hard drive is getting old.

Long story, shortened - I replaced the hard drive with a Samsung solid state hard drive. It was a piece of cake. With the previous hard drive it was 5 minutes and 10 seconds from on-button until I got an SCDucks screen. With the SSD that time had been reduced to 38 seconds.

All told, I put $321.96 into the upgrade. $306.97 for the drive and $14.99 for a three-year rescue/recovery/replace service plan.

I actually have more faith in the longevity of a standard mechanical hard drive than I do with SSD's but we'll see...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Solid state HDs are awesome

You'll get better longevity out of that SSD than you did the other drive.

I had similar startup times on my old Win7 laptop that I use at home. I'm running ACAD, Inventor, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Boot up times from >4min to 28sec.

It really is amazing. And, it's the easiest thing you'll ever do. All in, I had about 30min invested in the swap.

While I didn't spring for the 1TB drive, I went with a 500GB drive that I stole off NewEgg for about $75.

Good job, Rubberhead!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Cant beat a solid state.

They are built to be rugged, thats what these cell smart phones have in them and you see the abuse they take.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.