Thread: kick plate or jack plate??

1756sc Triton. 50hp mercury on the back.

want to get a kick plate so when i hit a stump, the motor will not get fubar'd.

opinions? options? recomendations? costs? etc...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I am wanting to do the exact same thing. I think that the kick plate is a better option.

I have a buddy that has one on his boat and it seems to work really well. I was thinking about trying to install one myself, but i'm not sure how hard it is.

I've ruined the lower unit on my boat once and a kick plate would have saved my ass. Expensive lesson.

------

http://www.midtnmarine.com/products....MC+Jack+Plates
    You can find the break away plate there. They are kind of pricey ($278.99) but compared to a lower unit they're worth it.

He'll just pull a few more teeth to make sure he can afford it.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Break Away plate, just call Olin and get one.....dang bo.

The electric jack option on the break away is sweet, ......results will be less noticeable with a 50 though.

Good luck with it, a boating course might help too.... [img]graemlins/fu2.gif[/img]

Yea no kid'n! He can't seem to start it w/out flood'n it.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Got one of them stump jumpers, works great. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I've got the CMC plate listed on the link.
    its the stump jumper one with the spring. It really doubles as a jack plate, offering a higher mounting point for the outboard, plus the setback off the transom. It's nice knowing you can ease up to a log and power over it. hard reverse can be tricky as the spring does give a little under a hard reverse pressure. If you don't have power trim and tilt, you don't need it, just run with the motor unlocked, like you would tilt it up.
    “A town is saved, not more by the righteous men in it than by the woods and swamps that surround it.” -Thoreau

I can get the break-away-plates if ya'll need some - and they are not hard to install if you want to do it yourself - all you need is a few friends or a motor hoist.
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

well lody-freak'n-da... Break away plate bullshit, ha.... pussy's. yOu need twin mud motors on a rig that big. I'm sure you can find some used boat dealer asshole to take that 50 horse mail box yall bought.
    Them ducks aint that high

I've got a jack plate on my boat but after having th crap scared out of me last week on Lake Thurmond I may be switching to a kick plate.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Originally posted by buckshot1224:
    I've got a jack plate on my boat but after having th crap scared out of me last week on Lake Thurmond I may be switching to a kick plate.
    What exactly is the difference between a jack plate and a kick plate?
    Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    I had a sales guy lock my keys in my truck on a friday afternoon at 5 pm...and told me to call a locksmith. i almost knocked his teeth out.
    Columbia DU Volunteer & member / supporter of Delta and FF

A jack plate moves the entire motor up and down and incorporates some setback for better performance.
    A kick up plate or break away plate allows a motor with factory power trim-n-tilt kick up when you hit a log, stump etc. It also allows the motor to "ride" over a log or stump at slow speeds. In addition, it incorporates some set back.
    Set back will normally improve overall performance too.
    A kick up plate can save your lower unit alot of times if you hit something with it while going fast - a jack plate will not!
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

SO, IM SURE I WILL BE REMOVING MY FOOT FROM MY MOUTH AS USUAL, BUT IM USED TO IT...WITH THAT SAID,

MUD MOTOR
    WHAT ARE YOU RUNNING THAT MAKES YOU SO HIGHLY DOMINANT OVER THE REST OF THE BOATS AND BLINDS FORUM (AS IT APPEARS THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE YOU HAVE BEEN POSTING/BASHING OTHERS RIGS)?

I MEAN, I RESPECT YOUR LOVE FOR YOUR MOTOR, ASSUMING YOU DO IN FACT HAVE ONE.
    IF'N YOU DO THEN SOME BRAGGIN ON THIS ALLEGED BEAST YOU SO HIGHLY VALUE IS NEEDED FOR STREET CREDIT.
    IF'N ITS MORE OF A WET DREAM, THEN PROMISE NOT TO SHIT YOURSELF, AND I RECKON I COULD BE WILLING TO OFFER YOU A RIDE IN ONE...(THIS IS THE POST IN WHICH YOU REPLY TO AND POLITELY TELL ME TO F OFF BEFORE POSTING A DETAILED DESCRIPTION & PICS OF YOUR BRAND NEW XX DUAL 36 PD'S ON A 20' X-SERIES, AT WHICH POINT I BEGIN CRYING LIKE AN 8 YEAR OLD BOY GOING TO CONFESSION IN CHICAGO A FEW YEARS BACK)
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves"
    -have mud motor, will travel