Thread: I thought Alabama was part of the South?

Default I thought Alabama was part of the South?

What's up with CCW reciprocity with Alabama? Reading their regulations, they are very archaic. Ridiculous!
    Christian Southern White Heterosexual Gun-Toting Male (The world's most hated minority)

I thought everything in Alabama was archaic. Last I checked their cwp permit is basically an application with a fee and boom he's your cwp.

I don't think too far into these things, but is that a good thing or a bad thing that it's that easy?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I think they're open carry?
    And yes, its just an app to sheriffs dept last time i did it.

Yes open carry. Yes you just pay for a permit no class. Yes to archaic govt here.

But we do have a three buck limit & telecheck. And can still kill 5 turkeys.

A bunch of wacky of constitutionalist that love liberty and freedom. They are not lucky like us we have a General Assembly protecting us from ourselves. Imagine any legal citizens with the right to carry it will be like the wild west just ask a SC legislator. The SC GA solved racism by taking a flag down. Alabama is behind us in more than football (well Clemson). Look at SC roads and schools we are way ahead of the nation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sounds pretty good to me Walt. I need to get back down there to kill an Alabama long beard or five.

Well, unless I am misreading their regulations, OOS'ers (they don't recognize SC CWP) traveling thru Alabama must have unloaded handgun locked in one compartment out of reach of driver, and the ammo for same locked in another compartment.
    Christian Southern White Heterosexual Gun-Toting Male (The world's most hated minority)

They call it a pistol toting permit.
    Last place you should need your piece.
    Unloaded in a lock box always, unless hunting or fishing.
    Just buy an out of state hunting/ fishing license, then you can open carry.
    Last edited by jay12clay; 07-13-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDUX View Post
    Well, unless I am misreading their regulations, OOS'ers (they don't recognize SC CWP) traveling thru Alabama must have unloaded handgun locked in one compartment out of reach of driver, and the ammo for same locked in another compartment.
    Where do you get that?

Cut and pasted (with link from Alabama, office of Attorney General)

Gun Reciprocity Law

Alabama's Firearms and Weapons law was updated in 2013. Per Alabama Code Section 13A-11-85, Alabama will recognize any valid out of state carry conceal permit.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/Page-Gun-Reprocity-Law

Edited to add: the locked out of reach is a federal law, Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA)

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

"A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered."

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 07-13-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

South Carolina and Alabama have reciprocity.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    South Carolina and Alabama have reciprocity.
    Alabama is not listed on SLED website.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx

And Alabama says no.

http://www.etowahcountysheriff.com/f...eciprocity.pdf
    Last edited by BIGDUX; 07-14-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDUX View Post
    Your document from Etowah County is dated 4/2012.

The law listed on the Alabama Attorney General Website was Passed in 2013.

The link on SLED website is which states SC recognizes. You may be right that we don't recognize theirs, but everywhere I have looked says that they recognize ours.

Georgia was the last holdout in any of the states I travel. SC remedied that last year with legislation.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Thanks

So you're saying I can keep my weapon concealed when I travel thru GA?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    So you're saying I can keep my weapon concealed when I travel thru GA?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yes... from my understanding of the law passed last year.