Thread: Stove Options

Default Stove Options

Renovating a house I just bought (to live in, not flipping) and I am planning on converting from the shitty electric stove in the kitchen that needs to be replaced anyway, to adding a propane tank and running appliances off propane. So gas stove.

Im used to a gas stove and would hate electric so im pretty excited about it.

What are you guys using for gas stoves? Prefer it to be a combo (stove/oven) and ive been pretty tempted by the 36" ones that have 4 burners and a griddle. I think the griddle would be nice for a way to fry an egg in the morning without dirtying a pan every time and obviously plenty of other stuff, are there any cons? pros?

Throw some recommendations out there, pretty open to anything, starting demo this week and the entire downstairs is getting completely leveled, so until I start framing I can change my thoughts.

I'm in the same boat, renovating a 130 year old house and the kitchen and bathrooms are getting a lot of work done. I looked at all of the big box store models, and decided that's not what I want.

This is one of the front runners at the moment: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/coo...51S60G24L.html

2 ovens, 6 burners, and a griddle on the side. Built for commercial use so it should last a lifetime with just family use.

I've got this one:

http://products.geappliances.com/app...cs/PGP986SETSS

I don't cook a ton, but I love it so far. It does have the griddle, but you have to clean that too. It's much easier to use a pan.

I also have this with it, which is pretty cool:

http://products.geappliances.com/app...pecs/UVB36SKSS

One more thing, if you wait for labor day sales, you can get a lot of this stuff for stupid cheap... Especially if you are doing a remod and replacing lots of things. We racked up scores of rebates...

we have this one and love it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidair...25PS/204759418

just make sure you dont go "dual fuel" I freakin love a gas oven. quicker heat time, more even cooking.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I'm in the same boat, renovating a 130 year old house and the kitchen and bathrooms are getting a lot of work done. I looked at all of the big box store models, and decided that's not what I want.

This is one of the front runners at the moment: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/coo...51S60G24L.html

2 ovens, 6 burners, and a griddle on the side. Built for commercial use so it should last a lifetime with just family use.
    Haha , thats funny, I have been looking at that exact one, just a size smaller. My question though is, would that look ridiculous in a residential kitchen? I mean im all for it and i know i dont care, but would that look dumb/tacky/redneck? (im all those things but dont want to show it)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinmission View Post
    Haha , thats funny, I have been looking at that exact one, just a size smaller. My question though is, would that look ridiculous in a residential kitchen? I mean im all for it and i know i dont care, but would that look dumb/tacky/redneck? (im all those things but dont want to show it)
    Personally, I don't think it will. My new kitchen is a pretty good size and it should fit the room well ... If I put it in my current kitchen, it would stick out like a sore thumb.

I plan on taking off the back wall of the range, having a tile backsplash built in, and a stainless hood coming down from the ceiling.

My last one is a Verona, 36 inch gas. I like it. I checked up on them, and really didn't see anything bad. It wasn't bad at all price wise. The upper high end is a pain in the ass in this small town because there isn't anyone to work on them. The rest were silly regulars that were priced top shelf.

19390744_10213373604160357_8428470401354540899_o.jpg

36, you can pit a griddle in the middle. I didn't like the duel ovens, the smaller side was too small. I'm not a baker.

damn, those tomato pies though. mighty fine
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    19390744_10213373604160357_8428470401354540899_o.jpg

36, you can pit a griddle in the middle. I didn't like the duel ovens, the smaller side was too small. I'm not a baker.
    This looks perfect, would add a griddle in the middle

Either Wolf or Viking.

i looked at them all....and wanted a griddle, too...but then I admitted I already had a big griddle that you can lay across two burners....and my wife does the fucking dishes....so i went with something a lot like jasonw linked....with the vent and all.

mine is just a cooktop. separate oven(s).
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Pfff, outlet covers newbie

I don't know much about Wolf. I do know I wanted to throw in a Viking just because. But two separate people I know have and one is still having problems with hers, not just internet talk that you read on reviews. I googled them too. Then a buddy has had problems with his thermador for years, enough that I wasn't touching them. I had a bitch of a kitchen aid also, they swore it was a lemon. But it came down to service for me, larger towns, larger dealers, are probably less problems.

The two places I knew who had Viking appliances had them removed after dealing with non stop problems from them.

We recently got a Thermador gas range and oven. We were told by several folks that we would love the all gas unit, and they were right on the money. We had all electric before. I'll never go back.

Thermador seems to be the popular range right now when I do kitchen remods. They were throwing in a dishwasher with them too.
    If you really want to impress your friends go with the La Cornue.. we put in one of those a while back, bakes a mean Totinos.

Thermidor
    Wolf
    Viking
    GE Monogram (Profile is shit)
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013