Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another SC boat sunk. Anyone who it is?

From THT-

"I spoke with the owners Fiancé yesterday who was on the boat with him when it went down. They were coming back from the Bahamas crossing the bank and he told her the boat was handling strange, when the radio stopped working they stopped the boat to see what was up. She opened the cabin door to find it flooded, went to the forward seating compartments to look for the lifejackets, that had been moved to the now underwater bow below deck compartment, next thing she knew her Fiancé told her to jump from the boat and swim away before it went under and rolled.

They were both ok and stayed with the boat until they were picked up about 3 hours later by another boater. Seems like a faulty through hull or similar issue caused the water to come into the boat and stopping was probably a mistake if they could have made it to Bimini they could have beached it before it sank.

So check your through hull hoses and connections, make sure if you move your life jackets from the normal spot everyone on the boat knows where they are, and if the boat seems like something is wrong, it is, but don't stop without opening a few hatches first.

I do that crossing quite often and wear a life jacket, have an Inreach and VHF on me, along with an EPIRB on the boat, but I will be modifying my routine slightly for the just in case scenario. It is amazing how fast a boat will go down. The reason no one could get in touch with the owner is that all of his stuff including phone are still on the boat. His soon to be better half managed to grab her purse on the way out, and sent me the message last night.

Glad they are ok, she said just a few weeks prior they were in the keys with all the kids on the boat so thank goodness it didn't happen then."

Lessons to takeaway-

1. When you sense something is wrong, never back off the throttle. Captain should hand the wheel to someone and go check hatches himself. Seamanship 101.

2.EPIRB.

I would list SEA FOX as #3, but I thought everyone already knew...

I think if I did that crossing more than once a decade, I'd have a self-inflating life raft on the boat too or, at least, a couple of Big Berthas....
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I think if I did that crossing more than once a decade, I'd have a self-inflating life raft on the boat too or, at least, a couple of Big Berthas....
    The crossing to Bimini is only about 50 miles. That's like going to the ledge in Charleston, but instead, that "ledge" is a big island. Essentially it's like safely making a 25 mile round trip. It's a piece of cake and you are always less than 1 hour from land in decent conditions. Not only that, it's probably the biggest CG station on the east coast.

I would argue that a trip out to the gulfstream in Charleston is more "dangerous". The hardest thing going to West End or Bimini from FL is remembering your passport, and filling out all of the paperwork.
    Last edited by jasonw; 07-11-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    The crossing to Bimini is only about 50 miles. That's like going to the ledge in Charleston, but instead, that "ledge" is a big island. Essentially it's like safely making a 25 mile round trip. It's a piece of cake and you are always less than 1 hour from land in decent conditions. Not only that, it's probably the biggest CG station on the east coast.

I would argue that a trip out to the gulfstream in Charleston is more "dangerous". The hardest thing going to West End or Bimini from FL is remembering your passport, and filling out all of the paperwork.

I would argue that you haven't ever had to float in the open ocean wondering when someone was going to pull you out. A liferaft should be standard equipment when venturing to the Bahamas or the stream out of charleston.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I would argue that you haven't ever had to float in the open ocean wondering when someone was going to pull you out. A liferaft should be standard equipment when venturing to the Bahamas or the stream out of charleston.
    Tell that to my sat phone, epirb, VHF, and spot... Again, going to the Bahamas isn't anything special. Going to Bimini is about as much travel as a day of bottom fishing in 100' in Charleston. Nothing to it.
    Last edited by jasonw; 07-11-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    Tell that to my sat phone, epirb, VHF, and spot... Again, going to the Bahamas isn't anything special. Going to Bimini is about as much travel as a day of bottom fishing in 100' in Charleston. Nothing to it.
    Good luck floating on those and being seen in 6 foot seas.

Good luck floating on those and being seen in 6 foot seas.
    Thanks!!!

If you can't swim to shore you better be prepared. This is true regardless of where you go.

Jason's theory is correct, but you never know when another boat is crossing and if you will stay afloat long enough to see them. Last time I went from FL to west end (56 miles) I saw 2 other boats

Making the trip again this summer and we will have epirb, spot locator, handheld vhf, & plenty of life jackets (in reach)
    Last edited by FHF; 07-11-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Anyone who finds a life raft unnecessary in the ocean is someone that doesn't have enough experience to know what Mother Nature can really do to your ass.

Anyone who finds a life raft unnecessary in the ocean is someone that doesn't have enough experience to know what Mother Nature can really do to your ass.
    This right here. I have fished a lot without one and will do so again I am sure but would always feel better that I got something to get in instead of letting fish nibble on my ass while I wait/hope someone sees me.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 07-11-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    cut\'em