Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vets ,meds and preventables

We've been using Stringer Animal Hospital, North - Will Stringer, DVM - for the last 23+ years and have nothing but good things to say about him. His prices are fair, or better, and his knowledge and willingness to share it when asked is outstanding.

As for HW, we also use Ivomec from TS, but mix it with Propylene Glycol (4:1) to hopefully measure larger doses more accurately.

We don't use any commercial flea or tick products other than Neem Oil shampoo, and my wife mixes up a spray concoction of cedar oil, lemon eucalyptus, rosemary oil and witch hazel as a repellant for mosquitos, chiggers, ticks and fleas. She is extremely sensitive to numerous commercial topical meds, as is her male Golden, and haven't been confident yet in any of the new monthly/multi-monthly ones on the market. Those are open for discussion, though, as the fleas have been worse this year than anything I remember over the past 20+ years.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I haven't shopped heartguard or nextguard, but that's what I use and we've been buying from our vet. I have no experience with anything other than nextguard but I can say that after a 7 mile out and back with the dog through some very thick trails a few months back, he had ticks falling off dead left and right. I've been very happy with the results of it.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

I just wish I could figure out what damn allergies my dogs have. I'd pay a lot if I could find a vet around here that could help. Glenn do y'all do that type of stuff? I will make a ride.
    Last edited by coot nasty; 07-07-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Oh and I use interceptor

I take my dog to KRT

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I take my dog to KRT
    I bet he checks his oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    I haven't shopped heartguard or nextguard, but that's what I use and we've been buying from our vet. I have no experience with anything other than nextguard but I can say that after a 7 mile out and back with the dog through some very thick trails a few months back, he had ticks falling off dead left and right. I've been very happy with the results of it.
    After my wife's dog had his follow-up blood and urine checks from his recent nasty bout of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, we put both of our dogs on Nexgard and within a few hours the fleas started droppin' dead. Good stuff, with (reportedly) no to minimal side effects.
    ~ George Washington

Glen If we combine our businesses we can 100% guarantee you get your pet back. Just a thought.

I buy my heartworm preventative from the vet as insurance. When I lived in Mississippi, dog came up positive for heartworms despite being on monthly preventative. Apparently, Heartguard does not always work on Mississippi mosquitoes/heartworms. Vet had records to back me up on when and how much I had bought. Manufacturer paid for treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    I buy my heartworm preventative from the vet as insurance. When I lived in Mississippi, dog came up positive for heartworms despite being on monthly preventative. Apparently, Heartguard does not always work on Mississippi mosquitoes/heartworms. Vet had records to back me up on when and how much I had bought. Manufacturer paid for treatment.
    I don't have a link to prove it, but a number of years back the reports were that Heartguard had the highest failure rate for HW prevention.
    ~ George Washington

To my knowledge I've never treated a dog for heartworms that was consistently on HG.

Now I have treated ones that were on Interceptor, ProHeart6 and Revolution. Ergo we don't carry those.

I gave my dogs thermacells for Christmas. Booyah.

Well that's just outside the box thinking right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    To my knowledge I've never treated a dog for heartworms that was consistently on HG.

Now I have treated ones that were on Interceptor, ProHeart6 and Revolution. Ergo we don't carry those.
    Interesting. I just remember back to when we were researching which HW med to go with and HG came out on the bottom of the list.

Thanks for the info.

Edited to add... Glenn, you may find this article interesting, and particularly the section on HG. The timing of that initial warning to Merial may be not long after we had been wrestling with which one to go with.

http://www.dogaware.com/articles/new...tance0711.html

Which strain of HW are we seeing around this area now?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 07-14-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Glenn.. question is the ivermectin bad for dogs? We used to use it for our fox hounds because it was cheaper. But i thought someone told me it was bad for their kidneys or something?

As much as I love to give Glenn hell,there aint nobody else I would take my dog to .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Glenn.. question is the ivermectin bad for dogs? We used to use it for our fox hounds because it was cheaper. But i thought someone told me it was bad for their kidneys or something?
    Fwiw, I asked our Vet the same question yesterday because our four year old male Golden just got an SDMA test back indicating the possibility of his being at an early stage one of renal failure. He said it shouldn't be an issue, so unless I hear otherwise, I'll be sticking with the Ivomec formula.
    ~ George Washington

I make the ride to Glenn every time, well worth the ride to me! From my house in Chapin it's 1:15. Plus he's open evenings until 9 or so if you have to go after work.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

www.petmeds.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Straight from the package insert. No mention of renal toxicity and I've never seen a case of renal failure that I suspected or knew ivermectin was the cause.

Neurotoxicity is possible in dogs, particularly in those with the gene defect (deletion mutation of the ABCB 1 (formerly MDR1) gene) that has been seen in certain genetic lines of Collie-type breeds. There are case reports of dogs without the ABCB 1 mutation developing neurotoxicity after receiving ivermectin at demodicosis doses. Dogs may exhibit a shock-like reaction when ivermectin is used as a microfilaricide, presumably due to a reaction associated with the dying microfilaria. Other adverse effects when used as a microfilaricide include depression, hypothermia, and vomiting. Pretreatment with diphenhydramine (2 mg/kg IM) and dexamethasone (0.25 mg/kg IV) can help prevent adverse reactions (Atkins 2005) .

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    www.petmeds.com

Please do. I'm tired of buying and stocking this stuff.
    Last edited by Glenn; 08-01-2017 at 07:44 AM.