Thread: wood for smoking

Default wood for smoking

Trimmed up a pecan tree yesterday and saved a piece about 5' long and 6" in diameter. I figured I would try to use it in the smoker.
    I plan on removing the bark and running it through the neighbors wood chipper.

Since it will already be chipped it shouldn't take as longs but what's a reasonable length of time to let it cure?

My Google search yielded a wide array of answers including, " green wood is fine to use" and "it needs to dry at least a year".

What's the scducks opinion?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I've got a huge old pecan tree at my lake house. If a limb falls or if one needs cut I'll haul it to a separate pile. I'm not throwing it in a box or anything on the smoker. It's going directly into the coals. With green I'm not worried about soaking it or anything. I typically don't remove the bark.

Oh, I'm cutting small cords if it. I think that's the right word. I don't chip.

* I don't have a Firebox
    Last edited by Highstrung; 07-05-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks, HS.

This is an electric smoker (I know, it's cheating) so there are no direct coals and the chips I have bought don't have bark on them so I thought it best to replicate them as closely as possible.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

All my wood is at least older than you. Green wood sucks and leave's a bad aftertaste. Just my .02
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I let it sit for 6 months, but that's not chipped.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Treated pine. 2x12 on top of 24" long 6x6 makes the ideal bench for smoking. Some people like to smoke standing up but nothing beats a good sit down cigarette.

I used green wood one time, hickory. It made a pork shoulder taste like a green persimmon. I'd chip it now and give it 3 months or chop it into 5 pieces and chip in 3 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!