Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you know?

good post Glenn.

except for cats....
    fuck a cat.

Well, a very well known vet once told me "when the bad days start outweighing the good days you'll know".

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Well, a very well known vet once told me "when the bad days start outweighing the good days you'll know".
    This right here!! The good thing about the above, it takes some of the emotion out of the decision, as you are being presented with pretty clear evidence of what to do.

Hate to hear this, been there. Four years later I still tear up time to time.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Wrote a blog post on this very subject a few months back.

http://www.pinestreetanimalhospital....When+It+s+Time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Glenn.

Today is a better day for Roscoe although I know it hurts him to walk around.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Thanks Glenn.

Today is a better day for Roscoe although I know it hurts him to walk around.
    R, have you figured out if it's his hips or spine causing him his problems... or just everything in general? How's his weight? And how's he doing today?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I'm in the same boat. One dog has been on death watch for a couple years now and another got a grim diagnosis a few months ago. I travel a lot and will hate it if my wife has to deal with it alone. I've talked with my vet who gave us contact info for cremation and he says he will be available for any euthanasia treatment. There's not much else you can do other than discuss it and try to mentally prepare your wife for the inevitable. Enjoy the days and happy times you have. The dog will indeed let you know when they are tired of life.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    R, have you figured out if it's his hips or spine causing him his problems... or just everything in general? How's his weight? And how's he doing today?
    He's a heavy dog. Always has been. 120ish his adult life. I haven't spoken with my wife about him today so I'm not sure what he's looking like today.

Biggest regret I have was not being there when my old girl had to be put down last year. She was battling cancer and seemed good when I was leaving for my trip so I went. Three days later my wife called saying she was really struggling and we made the decision. I hated that my wife had to handle this all by herself. More than that I hated that I wasn't there with my dog in the end. I'm honestly not trying to sway you because as Glenn said it's ultimately your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy the time you have left with the old boy.

One thing that I was told that helped me was to dig the grave before.

I had coco and cinnamon cremated and the wife had her dog cremated in May.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

My sister had a dog cremated and they put the ashes in a little dog house. There's a picture of the dog look out the door of the house and it sits on their mantle.

I buried my last dog next to a tree with a stumphole on the side that he always stopped to get a drink of water from. wrapped his collar around the tree as well
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Cremated my last two and will my next. To me it's better. Not because I am lazy but if I move I don't want to have to leave. This way they are always there.

So...I spoke with my wife earlier this evening and Roscoe seems to be doing fine. I'm a little confused actually. Maybe it's because we are back at home???
    She said he had enough spunk today to get up and chase the little lap-dog around the yard smelling her every move. That's more than I can say for him over the last 4-5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    One thing that I was told that helped me was to dig the grave before.
    if you can, do this. My childhood dog lived to the ripe old age of sixteen when i found her dead in the backyard on my 19th birthday. Dad was recovering from open heart surgery so I had to dig the hole. Alot of sweat and tears that summer day
    Last edited by mudminnow; 07-06-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Damn mini-x was on a project when I had to dig Dick's hole!! Chinese backhoe it wuz.......

PS, O Glennda done me a solid with the Dr Kevorkian visit.