Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you know?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How do you know?

How do you know when the time has come to put your four legged friend down?

My 14 year old lab is barely getting around these days. I was at the gym this morning and my wife calls me in a panic that Roscoe was in the pond and not moving. I took that as, he's laid down to die. When I got back to the cabin my wife was by the dock with Roscoe. Apparently he got in the pond (and he's really not a water dog as far as labs go) and could not get out. He swam across the pond and back...then got stuck under some trees....apparently, he almost drown but my wife got there in time to get him turned around and back to the dock. The problem there is that the dock is off a steep sloped bank that Roscoe could not get up. So when I got there, I jumped in and pushed him up. He was flat out exhausted. Later on in the day, we found ourselves in a similar predicament. Here's the thing...I think we all know he's on borrowed time...hell, I honestly didn't expect him to make it through last year. He's obviously not doing well, but I don't know if it's so bad that I need to put him down. The biggest thing I worry about is; I travel a lot for work. If something happens to him while I'm gone, my wife will not be able to handle it...emotionally or physically.

So...what words of wisdom do y'all have on the subject?

Thanks
    RT.
    Last edited by reeltight; 07-03-2017 at 06:49 PM.

They'll let you know. Won't be any question about it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    They'll let you know. Won't be any question about it.
    This. Pamper him tomorrow. Spend some time with him. But give him some rest too.

I would take him to the vet and have some blood work done, make sure everything is functioning like it should and then go from there.

I have a dog that is 15yrs old, she mostly blind and deaf and sleeps a lot but the vet says she's healthy for her age. She doesn't get around like she used to but she still gets excited when I come in from work and will occasionally pull her old toys all over the house.
    I couldn't imagine putting one down before the dog lets me know that he/she is ready to go
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

My Grandpa was old school . He always had a fair sized pack of bird dogs. Most of em were rough with ribs showing like a picket fence. He fed em when he remembered to ..He was a let em be until you found one dead in the pen or under the porch..

My Dad was a great dog man. He gave his various hounds the best possible quality hunting life, quality food , housing, and medical care. When the time approached, he was vigilant and always consulted our local Vet for an educated opinion. Euthanasia is in my opinion one of the kindest things a human can provide for our beloved canine partners. Dignity in life and in death. I try to follow my Dad's example ..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Just remembered the thread about the fish. This the same dog? Could be a fish bone. I'd def get to a vet for a checkup

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Just remembered the thread about the fish. This the same dog? Could be a fish bone. I'd def get to a vet for a checkup
    Nah. Different dog. I have two labs.

Roscoe is the man. Old man has lived a good life. I will say I let one of my dogs stay around too long for selfish reasons. It's not an easy answer no matter how you look at it.

I went through it last week. It was time. Hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

Man I'm sorry for for you and lol you guys loss it's hard to let them go. And there never here long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the exact same boat....14 yr old golden diagnosed with a slow moving cancer last yr and now having back leg/hip issues getting up etc

Wife and 6yr old woke me up screaming this am...thought that was it...he couldn't get off the hardwood floors but once up did ok all day. I am openly looking for a sign but he keeps on trucking.

I have been here before and he WILL let me know... unfortunately it is coming

Had this happen with my dads dog back 10 years ago. He called and woke me up one morning (i worked nights at the time) told me he had taken the dog to the vet and he wasnt doing well but he had to go out of town for a meeting. Told me if he went down hill anymore to take him to the vet and put him down. Wasnt 3 hours later my mom called and said the dog collapsed in the yard and couldnt get up. He died in my arms at the vet. They will let you know when they are ready, just got to man up and give them the send off they deserve. Dad later admitted he knew it was time that morning but couldnt bring himself to let him go.

You know when bad days outnumber the good days
    Hunting outside the box

I've held a few dogs over the years as they took their last breath and always found comfort in this. Good luck with your dog/

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris
    Last edited by scatter shot; 07-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.

If he's going for swims , it sounds like he still has some spunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    If he's going for swims , it sounds like he still has some spunk.
    That's the thing...he doesn't swim. Never has really. Always walked out pecker deep and turned around.

I put a lab down in may that was 17 years old. She had really bad hip displasia. She finally got to the point where she struggled to the driveway and back (150 yards). I put her down and found peace. I think she was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I put a lab down in may that was 17 years old. She had really bad hip displasia. She finally got to the point where she struggled to the driveway and back (150 yards). I put her down and found peace. I think she was ready.
    He definitely struggles to get around these days.

My Chocolate had hip problems to the point she couldn't get up. One day she took a walk 1/4 mile to neighbors house and laid next to her dog friend pen , who she frequently visited daily till couldn't do it anymore. And took her last breath. They know and most will wander off.

Wrote a blog post on this very subject a few months back.

http://www.pinestreetanimalhospital....When+It+s+Time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk