Thread: Plant / Weed ID

Default Plant / Weed ID

Have this coming up on some spots pretty strong. Never seen it before and just curious what it is. Some of its knee high.

Thanks.

Sicklepod

Yep

What they said......
    Last edited by DMP; 07-03-2017 at 06:42 AM.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Prayers sent
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Sicklepod/Coffee weed. Good luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

yep. coffee weed/sickle pod. better get on it now. glyphosate or 24d will burn its ass. good luck

Best solution besides pulling by hand, maybe spot spray with a broad leaf killer?? I have Trimec southern i spray for clover in my yard.

Stay away from cutting it due to the seed heads spreading from the little i've read. Also I see the farmers using a pre-emergent for for this. Ill look into it for next year. Food plots are doing really well, which is why i'm trying to be diligent with weeds and grass control.

The container at the hunting club is starting to fill up with all the herbicides. I'm that guy that my food plots are starting to look better then my yard.
    Last edited by TJ_11; 07-03-2017 at 07:44 AM.

There are probably alot more seeds in ground that haven't germinated yet. Seeds will wait for 50 years to germinate. Selective herbacides are your best bet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My field got overrun with it. Glyphosate and 2-4-d will kill it IF you catch it young, under 4-5 inches. If it gets big, you'll need to mix your glyphosate/2-4-d hot. Also, crop oil is a must. If you let it develop pods, the seed can survive in the ground for years. The key is to not let it get old enough to develop pods and seed but you have to do that for several years in a row. I've been told that if it does pod out, you can spray it with atrizine to kill the seed but I don't know how true that is. Cadre at 4oz/acre with crop oil will also ruin its day, but again, catching it when its young is important. Otherwise it will kill it about halfway down the stalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    There are probably alot more seeds in ground that haven't germinated yet. Seeds will wait for 50 years to germinate. Selective herbacides are your best bet.

I've been told 5-7 years on the seeds. Where did you see that they can survive for 50 years?

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    I've been told 5-7 years on the seeds. Where did you see that they can survive for 50 years?
    I've seen planted pines burned off that used to be fields that we're 15 -30 years old and they would sprout up everywhere. I've seen the same in clearcut woods where they sprout up everywhere the soil is destroyed. I've heard the 5_7 year stuff too, but my personal observation says that's B's.

So I have glyphosate and crop oil, I'll pick up some 2-4-d and mix a sprayer. I'll spot spray all my spots, then re apply after a couple weeks. Then in the future just catch it early.

If I lose some food plot sections I'll be ok. Better then cutting it and spreading.

I must have spread with the tractor when either bush hogging or tilling. I have it in food plots that are very far apart.

IT will grow a beautiful seed pod full of yummy seeds,

that nothing eats.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Stuff is everywhere. I've seen coffee weed pop up all over the place. But I've never had much trouble killing it. As far as spreading it I don't think you need to worry unless it has seed heads which I didn't notice in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    So I have glyphosate and crop oil, I'll pick up some 2-4-d and mix a sprayer. I'll spot spray all my spots, then re apply after a couple weeks. Then in the future just catch it early.

If I lose some food plot sections I'll be ok. Better then cutting it and spreading.

I must have spread with the tractor when either bush hogging or tilling. I have it in food plots that are very far apart.

Your plot looks like Vetch(ass-you-know-me). Hand pulling may be your best bet. Glyphosate and 24D will kill the vetch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Your plot looks like Vetch(ass-you-know-me). Hand pulling may be your best bet. Glyphosate and 24D will kill the vetch as well.

It is, i was hoping just to spot spray and hope for the best. I'll look for the seed pods and if I'm free of them, I'll pull.