Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quail birds.....

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    As a side note I don't recall when I have seen as many rabbits as I'm seeing right now either!
    I've seen rabbits in places I've never seen them in 27 years. I also can't remember this year only seeing 1, it's always multiples.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I have been trying to justify to my 13 yo why I don't have beagles. I would much rather be able to purchase a pair of French Brittanies that have a purpose, and raise him to be a bird hunter. I am thinking there is a better opportunity to hunt rabbits, and that's fun, but not like following pointing dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    I have been trying to justify to my 13 yo why I don't have beagles. I would much rather be able to purchase a pair of French Brittanies that have a purpose, and raise him to be a bird hunter. I am thinking there is a better opportunity to hunt rabbits, and that's fun, but not like following pointing dogs.
    get him a squirrel dog
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Rabbits eat better than squirrels, IMO.

I wont disagree but consider this, you need a pack of dogs to run rabbits.
    I can kill 10+ squirrels in a morning with a single dog.
    less food I have to buy, less vet bills I have to pay and I have just as much fun.

squirrels aren't bad to eat, best thing to do is cook'em down in a hash or stew. I don't have a squirrel dog because I like to eat squirrel, I have one because I like seeing him work.

Also, I think a squirrel dog is a better companion than a rabbit dog. If I go to the farm to do some work or if I am just chipping golf balls out in the yard, Jake is right there with me. My buddy takes his cur dog to the Napa store to work every morning. I don't see a lot of people doing the same with a rabbit dog.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 06-29-2017 at 04:01 PM.

I get that, and I am sure they would enjoy it. The oldest is hellbent on some beagle dogs, though.

Quail eat better than both combined!

Bring on the quaiL!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post

Bring on the quaiL!
    Hear, hear!

I get that, and I am sure they would enjoy it. The oldest is hellbent on some beagle dogs, though.
    ah, I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    truth

Saw two broods today bush hogging one with full flight feathers and one only a few weeks old....Thought I had run this one over so I picked him up...he quickly sprang back to life...and was safely released. That brood was at least a dozen strong the older brood was 5-6 strong plus the hen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

quail and rabbits everywhere
    Windows Down!

Something will be along shorty to kill the quail y'all are seeing. Don't wory.

Santee Eleven is always a party pooper!

Did a fair amount of bush hogging this weekend for a client I'd been putting off. Rabbits and snakes everywhere. All the rabbits were old enough to head for other cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    We have been noticing the same thing, can hear two different coveys around my yard. Buddy showed me a video from his farm the other day with a hen with 18 chicks in tow. Also noticing less coyotes too. Been some trapping going on but not too much. A theory I heard the other day was heart worms in coyotes, who knows if there is any basis but it sounds good to me.
    Interesting. I'm a long ways from you guys but have a hunting place in eastern NC along the Pamlico river/sound. Noticed hearing some quail too, had one run across the road couple weeks ago. Have not had that happen in years. Also flushed up a hen turkey and a dozen poults on my property. Saw them again last week. And the dang gone cotton tail population has absolutely exploded! The area I'm in has a bad yote problem but was talking to one of my friends who has a place there too about not hearing them lately (Volunteer fire dept. siren sets them off!). In talking with a number of the locals, they too noticed the same. Got me thinking about heartworms killing them off because if you ever came here you'd wonder how anything could survive the mosquitoes. Terrible! But something has definitely put a hurt'n on those yotes and I'm glad to see wildlife there again like I hadn't seen in many a year. I've always believed that predator control plays one of the most important parts in wildlife survival. Glad to hear you guys got some birds.

Pushed up three groups Sunday afternoon while bushhogging. We had a good population before a thinning two years ago and are starting to see them return.

Well....how did the birds fair in everyone's part of the woods this fall?

For us in SWGA, birds were abundant all of deer season and could be seen/heard just about anytime you sat a stand. I jumped 5 coveys in one ride in the truck one mid day stroll that all had 15-25 birds.

I hope the numbers continue to build
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004