Thread: Nikon D750 vs D7200 vs D3400

Default Nikon D750 vs D7200 vs D3400

I'm seriously looking at finally getting a quality DSLR. I have a D60, and therefore lenses, and am not looking to switch to Canon. With that out there, I'm bouncing back and forth between the D7200 (APS-C sensor) and the full sensor D750.

We have a D750 at work and I've used it - been very impressed with the full sensor images and capabilities. I have NOT had any experience yet on a D7200. Both have a similar image size (24 MP). I'm curious about image to image capabilities. Frankly, I am leaning towards the D7200 due to COST. About or at LEAST $800 difference in the two, and $800 is a decent rifle optic or a good pistol.

Costco has or had a package deal running with the D7200, two lenses, at $1300ish. One of the lenses I think was a 55-300mm, the other a 18-55mm. I'm not seeing that on their site now, so I may have missed out.

Thoughts? This will be for everything from family candids to air shows to outdoors/wildlife stuff.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Go full frame. If you plan to stick to photography, you'll likely end up wanting a full frame body at some point. Whatever you buy, invest in good glass that will also fit a full frame body in the event you choose a crappy crop sensor camera.

Any hazards in buying a used factory refurb camera?

My 6d is a refurb and I have no issues with it. Well, the camera has no issues. I screw up my shots all the time.

The refurb D750 is a cool $1555... plus glass this is getting rich. I have too many hobbies.

It gets expensive quick. I'm trying to talk myself out of the new 7Dii.

Swamp Rat keep an eye on B&H photos website. They run some decent sales from time to time. My office recently picked up a D750 with 24-120 lens package for around $1800. Seems to be pretty versatile as we use it or everything is from scene and evidence documentation to surveillance photos.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

We have D750's at work in our newer setups and they are great. My oldest work camera is a D80... So there's a range.

I have other financial obligations and, after researching some, am leaning towards the D7200, primarily due to the higher than I can afford glass in FX lenses. I am kind of wanting to keep this in a DX/DX match up now, and the 7200 may be the answer. We have world-class forensic photographer at work and she's giving me guidance, so I want to run this one more time by her.

If that's the way I go, I need to decide between the D7200 kit at Costco ($1350, with a 18-55mm and 55-300mm lens), or go with a body and a single better lens (thinking the higher end 18-300mm, not the lower end one with the same range). If I get a refurb body, I'll be out total for around 1700, which is my mental max.