Thread: Fun evening on Murray, with a twist

Default Fun evening on Murray, with a twist

I was up at the lake visiting my brother yesterday and decided to get the old Kunnan out. We were messing with piss ant bream from the dock, tossing a small popping bug against the grass along the bank. Nappy little two and three finger bream were aggravating the bug, but none were big enough to truly take it.

Finally, an ambitious little bream got hooked and I started working him in. I was thinking to myself "that fish is about big enough to be bait, and I wouldn't be surprised if....." .... and it happened. A flash and I saw the bream disappear and the line got heavy. I saw the form of the bigger fish and thought it didn't really look like a bass. I saw the bream free up and haul ass, but the popping bug had set and the fight was on for a minute or so.

Get it up to the dock and it's a jackfish. Not big, about 14 or 16 inches, but fun as hell, plus the first one I've caught off our dock and the first, by proxy, on a fly.

Good times.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I was up at the lake visiting my brother yesterday and decided to get the old Kunnan out. We were messing with piss ant bream from the dock, tossing a small popping bug against the grass along the bank. Nappy little two and three finger bream were aggravating the bug, but none were big enough to truly take it.

Finally, an ambitious little bream got hooked and I started working him in. I was thinking to myself "that fish is about big enough to be bait, and I wouldn't be surprised if....." .... and it happened. A flash and I saw the bream disappear and the line got heavy. I saw the form of the bigger fish and thought it didn't really look like a bass. I saw the bream free up and haul ass, but the popping bug had set and the fight was on for a minute or so.

Get it up to the dock and it's a jackfish. Not big, about 14 or 16 inches, but fun as hell, plus the first one I've caught off our dock and the first, by proxy, on a fly.

Good times.
    They are everywhere, annoying little jokers. Cool experience for sure.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Jackfish is good eating if you haven't tried it.

Cool
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton