Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating Duck Blind

Default Floating Duck Blind

After 2 years of hunting my beaver pond I'm thinking about putting a blind in. Would rather hunt from the natural cover but the birds like to pitch in middle/deep water plenty far out of range....also would rather give my Dad a place to get out of the water. The general area where the blind needs to be is in an area that would be near impossible to drive 4x4s into the ground. I keep going back to a floating blind......low profile.....adjusts with the water level....movable. I'm concerned that it would tip/rock too much when someone stood up to shoot?

Anybody ever built/hunted from one?

Depends on how you are thinking of building it. I'd say if you build the base of it like a floating dock at the lake and put plenty of foam in it then it should be fine. I can't imagine it'd be less stable than a John boat with a boat blind on it and mine is plenty stable. If you build something share some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think that a floating blind would not be stable unless it was larger and then would be tough to cover.

How deep is the water? What is preventing you from driving posts?

No, but I've debated this same scenario myself. An old pontoon would be ideal, but good luck finding one that you can easily move or that someone doesn't think too much of.

I've come to the conclusion that a floating dock would be the best option. I've been on some docks that use barrels and they are plenty sturdy. Ive also seen where some people are filling the barrel with foam to make sure that it last. But the liquid foam that I've seen isn't cheap and makes a dock float look better and better.

Interested to see what other suggest.

Two- one man boats and move where ever you want. Might turn out to be cheaper than your floating dock, and could be used more than 60 days a year.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Just an idea I've thought of before, if you have a tree close to where you want the blind try using the top portion of a 2 person ladder stand, just be mindful of the height. You may not be able to stand and shoot easily though.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I would think that a floating blind would not be stable unless it was larger and then would be tough to cover.

How deep is the water? What is preventing you from driving posts?
    5' deep right now....3' by end of summer.

Also bottom of pond is covered in stumps and Willow roots. Damn near died putting in wood duck boxes trying to get a post in the ground.

I could bust the dam to drop the water but then I lose all the fish....which I'd rather not do.

Hunted with a guy. Said he built a blind for us to hunt from. Showed up and there were 2 50 gallon blue barrels with a deck built on it. Dumbass idea. Don't do that.

Floating dock style build with layout blinds on top.

I know of two fish ponds with mobile floating docks to fish from. 8x10 I think. Either could serve as a safe shooting platform.

Ive wanted to do the same with those foam filled dock floats. Old jon boat might could work. if wide enough.

I'm not being condescending, but don't overthink it. It's a beaver pond pop shoot. 30-45 minutes at best.

I certainly understand wanting to keep an older person in comfort. If that's the real drive behind it, get a cheap pond - jonboat, make a permanent upright blind with comfortable seating. Pole it out there, pole it back to the bank.

I know several folks that have em in corn ponds for 78yr old men to sit in til 10am.

If you need more details on how to build the blind, let me know.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

We are in a similar predicament. Landowner doesn't want any permanent structures, and we haven't found the bottom of the mud yet. We were basically making platforms with pallets bolted together and sinking them down in the mud. Every time we hunted we would push the pallets down farther and would have to make another layer. Was working pretty good for a while until they started sinking uneven. We were looking at doing something removable and floating for my aging dad and six year old too so I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

At its lowest level,carry you a pressure washer and jet you some 4 by 4's about 4' apart and 12' long . Get (2) 24 by 48 floats, build a wooden frame ,like a deck and capture 4by4's , deck frame and roof if wanted. Sturdy and will adjust to water level. If you want drill some 3/4 holes in 4bys same distance from top of water ,insert round stock and with hunters weight it will rest on round stock and be super steady.
    Last edited by Timsmith; 06-20-2017 at 07:35 PM.

I just told you the best thing.

There's a flea marker in Springfield, last time I parked my truck there (a year ago) there were a dozen jonboats for sale.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

On the eastern shore for an open water blind, they take a telephone pole cut to desired length, split it, nail boards across the halves and anchor it out with the boards on the down side. Holes are drilled in the pole halves into which brush is stuck. You go out and push your boat between the pole halves, it will slide right in. The blind acts as pontoons and stabilizes the boat a bit.

Take it from someone who has built floating docks since the 80's.....beavers will destroy any floatation you put in it that isn't metal.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I just told you the best thing.

There's a flea marker in Springfield, last time I parked my truck there (a year ago) there were a dozen jonboats for sale.
    I've got 2 boats/blinds, but spinning around trying to shoot through willows, finishing cripples, getting a dog in and out, 75 year old father......nothing stable about a jon boat in this situation.

Back to my question....I'm looking for something stable to shoot from....have you ever built/hunted from a floating blind?

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    Take it from someone who has built floating docks since the 80's.....beavers will destroy any floatation you put in it that isn't metal.
    Good advice....I was getting ready to start looking around for dock floats. I have access to enough Styrofoam blocks to float a platform....would they mess with it?

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    Yeah I was gonna ask, so what is your suggestion?