Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irrigation Controller

Default Irrigation Controller

I need a new one. I have a 10 zone system. Looking for a controller that will run them all (currently have two controllers). I'd prefer a "smart" one if someone has a good recommendation but all I'm looking for is a system that I can set, it can run, and when it's raining or we've had too much rain the system doesn't come one.

Whatcha got?

Last edited by coot nasty; 06-19-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Get the Rainbird coot nasty mentions and add the wifi module. Game changer as it auto adjusts for weather and you can change programs, delay by day, run zones manually, etc. all from your smart phone.

I have used hunter and it always seemed a little better made than the rain its stuff.

Weathermatic is what I prefer. Rain bird would be second.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    This will work but I think you will have to buy the modules to make the zones operate. I think it has four or six to start and then you build it From there.
    Last edited by SNAP Hunter; 06-19-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Rachio I think they come in 8,12, and 16 zone clocks. They are smart clocks and can be set from your phone or computer.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAP Hunter View Post
    This will work but I think you will have to buy the modules to make the zones operate. I think it has four or six to start and then you build it From there.
    That's right
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
    Rachio I think they come in 8,12, and 16 zone clocks. They are smart clocks and can be set from your phone or computer.
    Do you have the Rachio? How do you like it? My system got popped by lightening yesterday so now I don't have a choice. I think I've narrowed it down between Rachio and Rainmachine...leaning towards Rainmachine only because it has a screen that I can look at or I can set it up on the web or app. Rachio is web/app only...no screen. Both are around $230 on amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Do you have the Rachio? How do you like it? My system got popped by lightening yesterday so now I don't have a choice. I think I've narrowed it down between Rachio and Rainmachine...leaning towards Rainmachine only because it has a screen that I can look at or I can set it up on the web or app. Rachio is web/app only...no screen. Both are around $230 on amazon.
    Damn, $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What zone Rachio? I just replaced mine yesterday with a 12 zone Rachio. $169 at Ewing Irrigation.

Quote Originally Posted by straightline View Post
    What zone Rachio? I just replaced mine yesterday with a 12 zone Rachio. $169 at Ewing Irrigation.

In the generation II models I'm pretty sure they only have 16 and 8 zones. I need 10 so obviously I'd have to go with the 16. I'll have to look up the differences between generation 1 and 2.
    Last edited by reeltight; 07-27-2017 at 03:38 PM.

I can't find any info on the 12 zone. The 8 zones are $199

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    In the generation II models I'm pretty sure they only have 16 and 8 zones. I need 10 so obviously I'd have to go with the 16. I'll have to look up the differences between generation 1 and 2.
    That is correct. Mine is a Gen 2 16 not 12. I just noticed that.

I've never used anything but Rainbird.

The one in the house I grew up in has got to be nearly as old as me and still chugging along as far as I know.

The one I installed at my place last year does everything I want it to. I really like the expandable capability. I had no idea there was a wifi module... I might have to look at that.

ETA: I installed one at our beach house when I was like 12 or 13. It still works good, too.
    Last edited by turbo; 07-27-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

That is correct. Mine is a Gen 2 16 not 12. I just noticed that.

If you picked it up for $169 you stole it. I called Ewing in Charleston and got a price of $240

Not sure. A case of I-20 and the controller was $383. He gave them the wrong heads twice so he probably rang the clock up wrong also. I'm going to check the receipt.

I have installed several Gen 2 clocks on athletic fields. No problems out of them so far. Its been really nice to be able to cut the system off from phone after I leave the fields for the day if we get a pop up thunder storm and I had planned on watering that night. I used to have to drive back out there and cut the old clocks off.
    I havent missed not having a screen on the clock itself. You can still run it manually if you dont have your phone. You can do just about anything you want to with programming on your phone, but if you login on the computer you can really fine tune your watering programs.