Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chufa Problems

Default Chufa Problems

I got some new hunting ground that is loaded with turkeys. I figured we'd plant some chufa but I'm having a problem I've never experienced before. I knew there were a lot of birds but I figured since they'd never had chufa they would lay off it long enough to let it come and mature this first year. Well they didn't. They are demolishing the plots and around $600 in chufa plots are going down the drain. Any ideas on keeping them out? I know they won't get all the seed but I feel they are going to put a hurting on it.

Put a coyote decoy out in the middle

Not a bad idea. I may try that as well. ccleroy just gave me a remedy as well I'm gonna try

Please share with the group. I'm afraid I'm going to have the same problem.

I am currently having this problem too. This is my 5th year planting at this property and it has never been an issue. I am going to be replanting at least 2 acres because of it. Would love a few ideas.

I have seen people cover entire fields with a net similar to a tennis net right after planting. Then they uncover the field in January or February. I guess the net deters turkeys from scratching it up right after planting and the net allows enough sunlight through to not inhibit growth. I have never tried it myself, but it must help to some degree. I have no idea where they get the netting material.

Yellar onions. Pm ccleroy he has an awesome recipe for the sauce...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Yellar onions. Pm ccleroy he has an awesome recipe for the sauce...
    Yes that's what he told me

I just planted a new plot that is doing well. I did two things different this year that I think help. I soaked the seed overnight so that it would germinate faster and I put a coyote decoy in the middle of the food plot.

rickys recipe also works to keep deer out of your garden. i was having a hell of a time keeping them out of my string beans and cucumbers, i mixed up a batch of that stuff and gave it a good spraying and they havent been back since. hopefully the rain we had a few nights ago didnt wash it all away. I might go out there and hit it one more good time tonight just incase.

Shiny object scattered around the edges of your plots will keep those curious rascals busy and off your seed, too. Washers will work but don't get the galvanized/dull ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I just planted a new plot that is doing well. I did two things different this year that I think help. I soaked the seed overnight so that it would germinate faster and I put a coyote decoy in the middle of the food plot.
    I've never thought about soaking the seed. That's a dang good idea. How much faster did it germinate? Did you have much rain on it after planting?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Shiny object scattered around the edges of your plots will keep those curious rascals busy and off your seed, too. Washers will work but don't get the galvanized/dull ones.
    Ricky told me this as well but don't use nickels lol

i dont know why anyone would use anything other than shiny pennies. where can you buy a flat washer for a penny? dont try to reinvent the wheel

who gives a rats ass about your chufa if you're not gonna shoot them in april....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    i dont know why anyone would use anything other than shiny pennies. where can you buy a flat washer for a penny? dont try to reinvent the wheel
    Pennies will patina and dull after the first rain. The long game on washers is cheaper unless you're in to picking up dull pennies to replace with shiny ones.

Anyone ever mixed in Tabasco with the onions? Worked like a charm for me.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

I think we did get a good rainstorm the next week, I remember being able to see some it ten days later. In three weeks it was at least 6" high.
    The deal with chufa is that it is planted pretty deep. I think that it takes a good rain to get down to the seed and soak it enough to trigger germination. Presoaking it seems to work and I would do it again because it is a race to get it growing before the turkeys and hogs discover it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I think we did get a good rainstorm the next week, I remember being able to see some it ten days later. In three weeks it was at least 6" high.
    The deal with chufa is that it is planted pretty deep. I think that it takes a good rain to get down to the seed and soak it enough to trigger germination. Presoaking it seems to work and I would do it again because it is a race to get it growing before the turkeys and hogs discover it.
    That's a good idea. I've still got some to plant other places and replant now in others it looks like. I may try soaking some like too say

Print 100 color copies of this photo. Post around the perimeter of the field. You won't have a turkey within 50 miles
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands