Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is our souls concious or unconscious once we die?

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    Yeah, this is probably the only thing I could somewhat align with a seventh day Adventist. I still do t know completely where I am on this topic but I think body and soul have to die. The seventh day Adventist act like every thing they say is backed by scripture, but they seem to pick and choose and mold scripture to what they want it to say.

For the record:
    I am a conservative Calvinist baby baptizing real wine communion every week Presbyterian in a Presbyterian denomination that still believes in the inerrancy of scripture.
    The bible says in 2 Corinthians 5:8 NIV: We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

So if your soul dies with your body, then how can you be away from the body (dead) and at home with God (alive)?

I am much like the others, aint looking to argue, this was just the scripture that popped in my head as soon as I read your repkly
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I might ask whether or not my opinion of this matter changes the facts?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Questions for consideration if the soul or spirit is alive and conscious after death, why is there a resurrection? Also isn't 2 Cor chapter 5 speaking of change and earthly body for a heavenly body?
    Awaiting the New Body

5 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3 because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4 For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

6 Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7 For we live by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9 So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

The Ministry of Reconciliation

11 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade others. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. 12 We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. 13 If we are “out of our mind,” as some say, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. 14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[b] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Footnotes:

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Yours nor mine nor theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    The bible says in 2 Corinthians 5:8 NIV: We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

So if your soul dies with your body, then how can you be away from the body (dead) and at home with God (alive)?

I am much like the others, aint looking to argue, this was just the scripture that popped in my head as soon as I read your repkly
    Yeah like I said, I still think about this alot. If the soul dies with the body, and has to be resurrected at the second coming, for all we know is we die and the next thing we are aware of is the Glory of God. There is no waiting because we are dead.

A very minute point in theology that doesn't matter a whole lot but I think when we start separating body and soul, we can get on a slippery slope

I believe Jesus died on the cross for my and your sins . I believe that people mess everything up . I grew up pentocostal . Ive seen more pushed away than brought in. I shy away from organized religion period . I cant get over the fancy cars..big houses...ATM s in churches . I believe that " church " gets in my way of my relationship with GOD . I aint saying they going to hell...Im just saying it turns me off . Im not sure what I believe other than that . I know being kind and compassionate aint gonna get me to heaven but it damn sure makes life easier .I believe that releasing tame mallards and pretending you are hunting will send you straight to hell .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyeller View Post
    I believe Jesus died on the cross for my and your sins . I believe that people mess everything up . I grew up pentocostal . Ive seen more pushed away than brought in. I shy away from organized religion period . I cant get over the fancy cars..big houses...ATM s in churches . I believe that " church " gets in my way of my relationship with GOD . I aint saying they going to hell...Im just saying it turns me off . Im not sure what I believe other than that . I know being kind and compassionate aint gonna get me to heaven but it damn sure makes life easier .I believe that releasing tame mallards and pretending you are hunting will send you straight to hell .
    "The church is a whore but she is my mother"

I'm with ya. I've got some church baggage too and as my dad says "the worst part about heaven is that it is full of christians"

The only thing that I am certain of is that God does not care what my opinion of religion and his word is.

I am less certain but believe that there is a greater good that lasts beyond our physical body. Call it our soul, our legacy, or what you will, what we do matters. What you call it does not. I do not believe as others believe but I also do not judge them. I have met some Mormons that are truly good people; however, I disagree with many of their teachings. For that matter, I have very close Jewish friends and it bothered me so much when I was younger that I went to my pastor (Lutheran if it matters) and asked about them. I questioned that if a practicing Jew who followed the Ten Commandments would be left behind. He helped me understand that Jews are "God's chosen people" and that Christ will be revealed to them once again.

In catechism, we are taught that Christians are the evolution of the Jewish faith and that Martin Luther did not create a religion he simply recentered it back to what it was before the Romans strayed from the word (selling indulgences, pay-to-play popes, and cardinals, etc.) I pray for those who ask for prayer on here, not for God's favor but that they receive God's Peace. I understand that it is selfish, but understood, that we are by nature selfish and asking for anything is simply normal (and selfish.)

The Muslims are what I struggle with the most and they seem to focus on the afterlife more than most. I question any religion that tells you that the next life is more important than the current life. If God wanted us all dead, we would be all dead. I am not sure how speeding the plow towards the afterlife, not to mention the unspeakable things they do on the way out, can be a reward. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Not being judgmental here, but I am 100% positive Dentist usually go to Hell. No offence.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

Hey now, he's not the only dentist on this thread. And I'm pretty sure we get to go without grace for putting up with people's lack of personal hygiene and Mountain Dew addiction everyday