Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copperheads out in force...

Default Copperheads out in force...

Not sure when mating season is for copperheads, but my Chessie encountered two of them last Thursday. I saw it happen from a distance, but couldn't prevent it, and had no weapon at hand to kill either snake. Jack took a hit on his nose and lip.

Quick trip to vet...antibiotic and cortisone-type shots...and benadryl tablets every day since. The swelling is gone and the danger is past, it seems.

Just a word to remind dog owners and dogs to be careful where you step when you're outside these days!
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

I was cutting grass today and saw one. No weapon with me other than tractor. I got off and stomped him to death

I'm proud of my wife. She's killed 1 copperhead and 2 water moccasins in my yard. She spots them crossing the driveway ,calmly chains up the lab, and runs out with a shovel and kills them. I've only managed 1 water moccosin.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What ever happened to the guy that had copperheads taking over his house and yard? Was he eatin by copperheads?

I'd like to hope the fella set the whole yard to blaze and started over!!

Still haven't seen any yet this year. We ended up killing 11 last year.

I was about to show the kids a "water snake" when I realized it was a copperhead. He still had a green tail even though he was 2 ft long.

Last edited by uga_dawg; 06-13-2017 at 08:37 PM.

GOAT
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

We used to live in a fairly well planted neighborhood by a creek. All kinds of snakes were visitors. Loads of garter snakes, mocs, no rattlers I remember but some big ass black snakes. I let all go except problem snakes for pets and children.

One day my neighbors were out working in the year, and older Jewish couple and their son. All of a sudden all hell broke lose. And lot of brush and tools were flying through the air. Lots of screaming. Man, a party. I went over to check it out and somewhat saved a big black snake. Im sure it was right bruised all over but it seemed to slither off just fine.

The one copperhead I saw was at the back door and the old springer was raising hell at it.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by santeeswamper View Post
    I got off and stomped him to death
    well this seems safe
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

A rather predominant members home is being overrun by them as we speak. He won't even go outside until his wife sweeps the yard thusly making it safe for his favorite attire of knee socks and sandals!!!!
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    A rather predominant members home is being overrun by them as we speak. He won't even go outside until his wife sweeps the yard thusly making it safe for his favorite attire of knee socks and sandals!!!!
    What a pussy!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Do none of y'all train your dogs to stay away from snakes? Cheaper than a vet bill.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Had one on the pool cover the other night. Took forever to get him to clear the cover and then the pool deck. Of course then he died from lead poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    Do none of y'all train your dogs to stay away from snakes? Cheaper than a vet bill.

If we all did that we wouldn't need veterinarians smart man.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

One of my good friends guides quail hunts for a living. Has about a dozen dogs. The pointers will point on snakes and if the flush dogs won't go in you know it's a snake. I am not sure how they learn it but they are never wrong
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

You are not going to overdose a dog on benadryl. Amoxicillan and benadryl work. I had a vet tell me either a dog is gonna make it or it isn't, doesn't matter if you go to a vet. He said he has seen reactions to anti venom that were worse than the bite. Other than a rattlesnake, most dogs will recover. It ain't pretty, but they make it. Remember to take their collar off because there is going to be a lot of swelling.

I snake break mine but it requires handling venomous snakes occasionally and most folks don't like doing that (and I don't recommend it). I wish there were snake breaking clinics held here like I hear about in Texas and other places. I encounter venomous snakes so infrequently, I try to catch just about every one I see just for refresher lessons.

Even with snake broke dogs, my oldest dog has been bitten twice on the back foot, presumably by stepping on copperheads. Breaking is still worth it though because they learn not to point them and to leave them alone. They must be actively avoiding them too considering how much ground they cover at all times of the year.

My lab won't mess with snakes. She's not scared of them, she just doesn't care. My jack russels raise hell and kill every snake they get a chance at in our yard. I love those dogs, but I want them like that. I'd rather they get bit than my son. Luckily no venomous snakes in my yard yet, they've killed or maimed 10 or 15 friendly snakes though.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    My lab won't mess with snakes. She's not scared of them, she just doesn't care. My jack russels raise hell and kill every snake they get a chance at in our yard. I love those dogs, but I want them like that. I'd rather they get bit than my son. Luckily no venomous snakes in my yard yet, they've killed or maimed 10 or 15 friendly snakes though.
    Most of the time the dog will be fine anyways. They seem to handle it much better than we do.