Thread: Any Canoe Gurus?

Default Any Canoe Gurus?

Thinking about getting a canoe for some small pond fishing, and maybe some back in the swamp holes for duck hunting. Anybody here with good canoe knowledge? I have no idea what I'm looking for, other than something stable. I know way back when I was a kid, canoes were easy to tip over. Other than that, I'm lost. Any advice?

Buy a riverhawk

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    Buy a riverhawk
    Solid advice here. I have a gheenoee (riverhawk predecessor) and the wife has a high dollar mad River canoe. Give me the gheenoee all day long

Flatback boats paddle like a barge. So if you're going to be paddling it and not running a motor just buy a old town.

Flat water. Coves, ponds, backwater swamps. Maybe some slow rolling floats down the Edisto, but nothing that would require me to be an expert paddler. Just want to take the kid bream fishing. Something in the 15-16' range that doesn't get tipsy with us on the water while casting and such.

Indian River flat back tunnel hull. 14 feet, 70 lbs. Stable and doesn't paddle bad. I typically run a 3hp outboard or 50 lb trolling motor. Killed many a ducks and caught tons ofish.

I own that same boat. It paddles like a barge compared to a old town or mad river. If your going flatback go river hawk.

Default Any Canoe Gurus?

I had an old town for years and bought a mad river 4 years ago I like the mad river best of the two. Last year I bought this for hunting swamps with the dog and it paddles fantastic, and should be fine with a kid in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Woodiewacker82; 06-10-2017 at 09:25 PM.

I've got a 13' Old Town predator. 4' wide very stable,90lb Lab in and out no problem.http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Boat...anoes/5006.uts Mines an older model doesn't have three layers or flotation.

I'd get a NuCanoe. I've been wanting one for a while just haven't gotten around to buying one yet. They are perfect for what you are talking about doing.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I'd get a NuCanoe. I've been wanting one for a while just haven't gotten around to buying one yet. They are perfect for what you are talking about doing.
    What this guy said. At least check them out, they say they are super stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I can tell you that a long time ago I swore I would never own a boat I could not stand up in to shoot, fish or cast out of. This is the best that I have found for all three if you are going to paddle. MG

http://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12/
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 06-15-2017 at 02:38 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Just get a pirogue and be done with it.