Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EDC pocket knife recommendations

Someone gave me one of these as a gift. I promptly traded it for a benchmade as it had a slippery feel to it. I never carried it so never had a chance to see if it got slick or not but just holding was enough for me not to want it.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    This is it.

thats the leek that i mentioned in my original post. its got the little tiny lock on the back tip end of the knife (when closed). fumbling with that little lock when you needed one hand open was aggravating. Not to mention, during the 3-4 months that i did carry it, the pocket clip had already gotten stretched to the point that it would almost fall out of my pocket when i sat down. And one more thing i didnt like was how thin the blade was. It just felt like it would snap with any hard use. It now rides somewhere in the console of my truck for those three times a year that i accidentally leave the house without a pocket knife.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    thats the leek that i mentioned in my original post. its got the little tiny lock on the back tip end of the knife (when closed). fumbling with that little lock when you needed one hand open was aggravating. Not to mention, during the 3-4 months that i did carry it, the pocket clip had already gotten stretched to the point that it would almost fall out of my pocket when i sat down. And one more thing i didnt like was how thin the blade was. It just felt like it would snap with any hard use. It now rides somewhere in the console of my truck for those three times a year that i accidentally leave the house without a pocket knife.
    Ahh i gotcha. Ive gotten pretty good at opening it with one hand. I like it and it seems to keep an edge for me. I like the lock because the last speedsafe i had opened up in my pocket a few times and poked me pretty good. At first I wasnt sure if i was gonna like how thin it was, but I think i do so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Ahh i gotcha. Ive gotten pretty good at opening it with one hand. I like it and it seems to keep an edge for me. I like the lock because the last speedsafe i had opened up in my pocket a few times and poked me pretty good. At first I wasnt sure if i was gonna like how thin it was, but I think i do so far.
    the thinness of the knife is what originally sold me on it. That was the best feature of that knife for sure. barely noticed it in my pocket.

lots of good info fellas, i appreciate it, ill look in to many of the suggestions posted so far.

Been toting this lately. Just a bit heavy is the only complaint.

On sale for $28 bucks from that horrible sight known as amazon prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

I've been carrying a spyderco endura for years. You'll lose it before you break it. Great steel. Easy to sharpen and holds an edge very well. Not sure what it is about the thumbhole that is hanging you up. I bought my wife one and she'll cut your face off before you can flinch.

Yeller handle Case. Close thread. People run when they see one. Cleaning toenails, peeling apples, cutting steak, opening mail and skinning deer since 1900
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I've been carrying a spyderco endura for years. You'll lose it before you break it. Great steel. Easy to sharpen and holds an edge very well. Not sure what it is about the thumbhole that is hanging you up. I bought my wife one and she'll cut your face off before you can flinch.
    I carry one on occasion as well. Great knife.
    My only complaint is how far the knife sticks out of my pocket.
    I prefer a low-riding knife
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I had one of those for years. Gave it to a friend's son one day because he admired it so much. If I had not found out about ZT knives, I would be carrying the Spiderco again.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Speaking of knives, we had a retard at work yesterday whip out s butterfly knife in front of one of our HR guys.

Adam,

In that price range , you may be remiss if you don't look into Ernest Emerson's knives. They can be had for the $225- $250 range if you shop.

I have a LH Emerson Commander that gets some use. It's a well made, tough use knife. Couple steps above Kershaw and Benchmade in the quality area.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

try the Sog twitch ii.

Benchmade Griptilian. Hands down the best knife I have carried. It does have a little blade wobble but I am to fault for that as I use it as screw driver and pry bar as much as I cut with it and as evidenced by the wear on the blade it sees a lot of use.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 06-09-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    cut\'em

I know you said no finger hole to open, but damn if the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 isn't my favorite EDC. Do yourself a favor and at least get your hands on one before you decide.

I keep coming back to a spyderco delica 4, it's thin, lightweight and holds an edge rather well. I've got to send my benchmade mini griptillian back for warranty since the axis lock spring broke. I tend to break a lot of knives.

Y'all need to start carrying a good mutltitool as well.

It will keep you from misusing your knife and typically does the job a lot bettet

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Yeller handle Case. Close thread. People run when they see one. Cleaning toenails, peeling apples, cutting steak, opening mail and skinning deer since 1900
    The Horry county stereotype is still true. I just walked in a restaurant to pick up lunch and a guy outside was holding a yellow case knife in his hand.

H&k otf auto. Can be had for $200. One handed, sits deep. Light and not too bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by duckandbuckhunter View Post
    H&k otf auto. Can be had for $200. One handed, sits deep. Light and not too bulky.

I have a Microtech auto. I just can't justify keeping it as an EDC knife because it seems more like a weapon than a tool. It now resides in my messenger bag as a weapon.

I just don't feel like it is sturdy enough to take the abuse that can dish out on a regular pocket knife.

I don't see the HK being any better/worse on this aspect. IMHO, the OTF autos are "not" a tool.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

H&K Entourage. Made by Benchmade and carries Benchmade warranty. Automatic that has good steel and can be had for $125 or less. Look around online, last one I bought was for $105 shipped. It cannot be beat.