Thread: Older Outboard Motor Opinions?

Default Older Outboard Motor Opinions?

Looking for an older 18' to 20' center console boat. Somewhere around 98 to 04ish. Most of these boats have 90 to 130 hp motors. What are some motors to stay away from and the ones to look for? Also what are some good hulls in those years? This will be a lake Murray family and fishing boat. My budget is around 10 give or take.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Xo66 or Yamaha hpdi, stay away from fichts. I'd try to find a good 150 hpdi (realize it's bigger than specs given but lots of boats in that range can handle it)
    Last edited by trash2; 06-08-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Personally I'd steer clear of hpdi or an older optimax. Evinrude ficht is the motor that killed OMC. Mercury 4cyl 115 and 125s are a weird design and long story short I'd pass on one.

Not sure about that, smaller hpdis are arguably some of yamahas best motors. They need clean fuel tho

I've had three Merc saltwater EFI's in that range. A 125, 225, and 250...all ran without a problem and everyone and their brother can work on them blindfolded.
    Last edited by reeltight; 06-08-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Personally I'd steer clear of hpdi or an older optimax. Evinrude ficht is the motor that killed OMC. Mercury 4cyl 115 and 125s are a weird design and long story short I'd pass on one.
    Some of the units you advise to stay away from are some of the best motors made?? I'd take this advice with a grain of salt or two.

90 degree OMC and Yamaha 4 cyl motors are damn near bulletproof. The C class Yamaha 115-150 would be what I would search for in that hp range. Avoid 4stroke Yamaha under 115 hp, 60 degree OMC blocks and anything FICHT.

200 HPDI is strong motor.

Evinrudes were strong at least until 97. Not sure when they switched over after that. I had a 97 90hp that gave me zero problems. Wish I would have kept it and boat. My father still runs a 97 70hp.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    90 degree OMC and Yamaha 4 cyl motors are damn near bulletproof. The C class Yamaha 115-150 would be what I would search for in that hp range. Avoid 4stroke Yamaha under 115 hp, 60 degree OMC blocks and anything FICHT.
    Agree with this, have one of those older OMC and it has been very simple and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post

This right here

202 Sea Hunt, Key West 1900, Scout 185, and the like are all great boats for their intended purpose. Lake, river, nearshore on a good day.

Edgewater 185 and any of the HS Vector series hulls would be a good choice as well....all of which would be great powered with a V6 of most any manufacturer.

Fishsticker, curious which motor(s) you disagree on above?

Thanks fellas.

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Fishsticker, curious which motor(s) you disagree on above?
    For starters, the 150/200 HP HPDI platform is one of the most reliable engines ever produced...some would say it is Yamaha's best engine to date, rivaling the C-series. The carb'd Mercury 2+2 are the same story...just because people don't know how to adjust the carbs or feed them cheap oil doesn't make them a bad motor. Powerful and they will just keep running and running. The 2.5l Optis were good engines as well....not near the problems as their big brothers.

250/300 HPDI are what gives them the bad name. Same situation with the 3.0l block Optis. The OP was looking at 150HP and less options for a 18-20' CC.... the motors you suggested avoiding(with exception of all things FICHT) are arguably some of the better options for the OP.

FishSticker what year in the 150/200 hpdi? I'm searching but just not finding years they were produced.

If it has an Ocean Pro Johnson/Evinrude ride that thing until you kill it.. IF it has the FICHT Johnson/evinrude run from it. The 2 strok yamahas should be no problem as well. The Mercs in 115, 125, and 150 should be good to go as well. They have the funky idling on two cylinders, but there are tons of them still out there running around.. IMO a 18ft boat with a 90 will be severely under powered unless it is a skiff. Don't be too afraid of the older motors. I have a 94 Johnson 88Spl that i run here at the coast every weekend. Keep it in good oil and non ethanol fuel and they are happy.

Hpdi (small block)was produced from 2001-2007

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    FishSticker what year in the 150/200 hpdi? I'm searching but just not finding years they were produced.
    I "think" they first came out around 2000 IIRC....in production for 7-8 years maybe? ANY of the Yamaha 2.6L(150,175,200HP) blocks, whether it be HPDI, Carb's or FI OX66 will provide you with good service as long as they have been cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    If it has an Ocean Pro Johnson/Evinrude ride that thing until you kill it.. IF it has the FICHT Johnson/evinrude run from it. The 2 strok yamahas should be no problem as well. The Mercs in 115, 125, and 150 should be good to go as well. They have the funky idling on two cylinders, but there are tons of them still out there running around.. IMO a 18ft boat with a 90 will be severely under powered unless it is a skiff. Don't be too afraid of the older motors. I have a 94 Johnson 88Spl that i run here at the coast every weekend. Keep it in good oil and non ethanol fuel and they are happy.
    Be weary of the 90/115/150 Ocean Pro's as they are the 60 degree blocks and have the optical ignition. Parts are becoming scarce and folks don't want to work on them as a result. Had a 150 O/R on one of my old flats boats and caught hell keeping it going between torn fuel pump diaphragms and ignition issues. Had the same issue with a 115 O/R as well. Wound up selling to someone that wanted the lower unit and was going to part it out.