Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inshore go to setup

Every bit of this last rain stayed right below us, our fields. Last week it spit north and south of us. I've got decent rain on the edge of town, but shit in our crops lately. Overcast doesn't help anything.

prayers sent
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    why you hate braid? just wondering. I have gotten to where I have no issues with it when fishing at the coast....or for a frog in a pond.
    One reason is that I have to use clippers or a knife instead of just biting through it like mono. I'm sure that's making you cringe what with your background in dentistry and all. Another is its propensity to tangle, and when it does tangle, its usually an ordeal. There's probably somethiing else, but those are the two that come to mind. I don't hate it as much as I used to, but I have said I hate it for so long now, that I'm just sticking with that opinion.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Last time I checked, I was running 6½ or 7 foot Ugly Stiks with 2500 size Battles, 20 lb PowerPro topped with a flouro section that varies in length depending on how many times I've had to trim it. The Uni knot is quick and easy with braid and I've had little issue with tangles.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Surprised at how many of y'all run 2500-3000 series reels. My go-to setup is a 7 foot medium action ugly stik with a 4 or 5000 series reel and 30 lb power pro. I like to winch shit in.

Default Inshore go to setup

Reading replies on threads like this reminds me how poor I truly must be....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scswamprat; 06-09-2017 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I recently fished with a daiwa BG setup and it was really nice for a reel that is under $100. I'd put it up there with a Stradic all day.

I fish a range of rigs from 2500-6000s inshore depending on what I am going for. I like fishing braid and aint afraid to go heavy. I fish around a fair amount of structure and like to be able to get down on the drag if needed. I have no problem rollin w 40lb braid or more. Smaller fish may not be as "sporty" on heavier tackle but that doesnt bother me. Cant go wrong w shimano or penn reels and most rods will suit you fine depending on the action you are looking for. I normally look at spending ~200-250 per setup or more as you approach the bigger reels and rods. I fish salt 99% of the time but when I switch to fresh have no issue hooking up on bigger lines and setup, just adjust your leader appropriately. Rods and reels are just like tools, for every job there is the correct tool but you can make what you have work lots of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up getting rain. Not too much, not too little, but close to the right amount.

see? Prayer works.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Just like Garth said

wait, that's not right. they were answered

Penn conflicts on a good ol' ugly stick, its all in the reel, not the rod