Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inshore go to setup

Stradic 2500 with 12lb braid and either a 7'6" medium action star rod for live bait or 7ft fast action for artificials.

Spend the money up front on a quality setup.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 06-08-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Just b/c I'm a sucker for high-end gear I'll comment. I recently was convinced to try out the Quantum Smoke reel. My goodness it's a sweet! Have any of you all tried it out? Understand that my use has not been inshore but figured I'd comment since it's technically an inshore designed reel. I'm using two on 9' St. Croix Avid surf rods for slinging metal at the OBX for the big Blues when they run. So far I've been really impressed and this spring the BIG blues finally showed back up. My concern for these reels since they are so light was how they'd handle a big feisty blue or Spanish and much to my pleasure they did great. I just purchased one for a 7' rod strictly for inshore and fresh water fishing. Id suggest checking them out...

7ft Loomis or st Croix paired with a penn battle 3k is my go to setup.

I've gotten to be a die-hard Shimano user. They have treated me well when I sent in rods that I broke, and I've gone through enough comparable reels from other brands, and Shimanos are the longest-lived. Saharas are good, but Stradics seem to last longer before needing maintenance. 2500 or 3000 size. Pair it with a Compre on sale or Convergence rod (7' medium action) and 20lb braid and you have a $200 or less setup that can catch 8" stocker rainbow trout to 15+ pound redfish.

I just bought 4 Ugly Stick Inshore Selects 7ft medium actions and have Penn Fierce 3000's on them. 20lb power pro.

$60 rod, $50 Reel.. they have been good to me..

Wife bought me a Penn Battle combo for my birthday. Hard to beat for $100 total setup as well.

Sahara's seem to be the best value reels I have found. I've switched from Shimano to St Croix rods. Little more expensive but thier customer service awesome and I like the product. I have a Mojo series that I like paired with a Sahara 3000 also have a Triumph series that is a little lighter for trout. The 3000 will do it all but hanging a big spot tail on that light rod is a fun ride. I hate braid but its a must have.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    My response was a nice way of saying "for everybody else that doesn't drive a Dodge and dig around inside of people's man pleasers for a living, would do good to buy a Stradic and a Greenwater."
    i see what you did there.

I like shimano. I agree on that. The Penn battles are well built tanks, too. I have found that I dont appreciate the quality of a $200 reel 4x more than I do some $50 jobs. I have some shimano sedonas (??) that were considered cheap and I still have them after 10 or so years and havent fucked them up yet.

My dad bought some nicer shimanos later in his life and I have them now and they reel in the same as my other ones. Granted, I'll take better care of HIS shit than mine...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

why you hate braid? just wondering. I have gotten to where I have no issues with it when fishing at the coast....or for a frog in a pond.

All of my newer stuff is mixed up shimanos. I did buy two battle combos recently.. It's all going between fresh and saltwater though. I have three old, like maybe almost 20 years old, fin nor megalite combos.. I've caught everything from cobia, to inshore, and to rockfish on.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 06-08-2017 at 10:08 AM.

I wouldn't buy a rod that didn't have cork on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I wouldn't buy a rod that didn't have cork on it.
    Check out Ralph Phillips Custom Rods and why he does not use cork.
    DILLIGAF

I thought he uses some. I saw the rod with added wood.

I was trying to start something funny. It's ruined now.

At least it is not raining anymore.
    DILLIGAF

It just did, on my parade

It's your party. You can cry if you want to.
    DILLIGAF

Ha, I like Sun.

PENN Battle II 2500 or 3000 Combo(s) with 20lb PowerPro for Carolina Rigs and Corks. These work fine with artificial lures too. I use a 4000 for rocks and docks.

Stradic CI4+ 2500 with 10lb PowerPro on a 6'6" Medium Extra Fast Teramar spinning rod for artificial lures.
    Last edited by Beck; 06-08-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Corn is rolling and 6" Bermuda is heading out and another peckerhead complains about rain

only on parade days