Thread: Shop climate control

Default Shop climate control

I am building a shop that is approximately 480 sq ft, ten ft walls, sixteen ft overall height, and insulated. What should I use for climate control? I'm worried about moisture and would like to be able to cool it down while tinkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would look at PTAC units. They are cheap enough and easy enough to install on your own, and won't break the bank while you're hanging out in the shop.

Mini split or Ptac would be perfect.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Any brands that are better than others? I want to know from experiences if at all possible.

I used a wall a/c heat unit in mine. It was inexpensive and it works well year 'round.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Default Shop climate control

Low first cost - Heat pump window unit. Make sure it's a heat pump with a reversing valve and not an AC unit with a heat strip.

Lower Total life cycle cost - ductless split. It will cost twice as much but it will dehumidify some, last longer and have a 7-10 year parts warranty. Buy a Mitsubishi unit if you choose this route.

If you are a wood worker, create a lot of dust, and don't have a dust collector, defn a window unit.

480 sq ft with insulation should put you around a 12k BTU unit max. Probably get by with a 9k.
    Last edited by britton40; 06-09-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks B

I have a mini-split on my shop - it's the tits. Daikon (sp?) brand. I had one put in my seldom used FROG in the house at the same time and pulled the duct work from the main system out of there so I could have more supply downstairs.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Couple portacools and shop fans. It's not the library, it's your shop.

Uh, you make it a comfortable place to be and it will attract women. Women in your shop in a no bueno because it will then become an outdoor entertaining area with doo dads, trinkets and old pallets and shit. "I'm headed out to the shop!" "Take the baby with you." "Can't. it's too hot." "You put in an air conditioner and a heater. Take. The. Baby." See where this can lead?

Summer? Open a window and turn on a fan.

Winter? Torpedo propane heater.

Preach.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Uh, you make it a comfortable place to be and it will attract women. Women in your shop in a no bueno because it will then become an outdoor entertaining area with doo dads, trinkets and old pallets and shit. "I'm headed out to the shop!" "Take the baby with you." "Can't. it's too hot." "You put in an air conditioner and a heater. Take. The. Baby." See where this can lead?

"Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

I could put one aquarium in there with a small garter snake and my wife would never set foot in it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I would put a urinal in it.

Not without a/c, it would smell like a chicken wing place.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

This right cheer fellas. 3N Glennn knows whats up.