Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food plot help

Default Food plot help

Another guy and I hunt 300 acres in Calhoun Falls and last couple years food plots have been taken over by grass on our biggest food plot (about 150 yards long and 30 yards wide on big power line .

We bush hog it and plow it and prior to seeding use a drag harrow to remove as much crap as possible and even do it by hand

This past season was a total disaster due to no rain from September until late November and I mean NONE, dry as a bone so that was to be expected

Went down Friday with another buddy that hunts near by and since he just bought his own tractor and is itching to just plow some stuff we went over and plowed my plots up with disk . Turned them over great

My question is will this help/hurt when we do our plots late this summer

Anything else we should do, we are planning on spraying roundup (or something like this) on the big plot after we bushhog it this summer and prior to plowing and see if that will help

Neither of us are "farmers" however been doing food plots for years and this one is making us pull our hair out

We plant a mixture of Oats and Wheat

Kind of want to know if anything else that would help
    Last edited by tprice; 06-04-2017 at 04:29 PM.

IMG_0236.JPG

Here is a picture from our main stand, the plot starts right past first set of power poles and runs down the power line within about 50 yards of the creek (that is the break you see down there).

We have a small food plot on other side of creek and this one always does great IF it rains . In fact the small plot is the one the deer love since on the main trails that cross the power line (about 250 yards to that plot and 300 to back of it )
    Last edited by tprice; 06-04-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Spray it early august with glyphosphate. Tractor supply has a big jug for 50 or so.

Let it die, burn it off, plow and plant.

Will be a very pretty and clean food plot.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Call this number before burning

https://www.state.sc.us/forest/fforest.htm

The thing about plots like this are that they are not one day fixes. You can't just spray it or plow it under.
    I'd spray it and plow it and then spray it again. Then I'd plow it/plant it plus cultipact or drag it.
    All this is easier said than done. It is a lot of trips.

I would plant it in buckwheat . Then fall plot in september.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Spray it early august with glyphosphate. Tractor supply has a big jug for 50 or so.

Let it die, burn it off, plow and plant.

Will be a very pretty and clean food plot.

Thanks, my future son in law is in landscape architecture plus he does a lot of landscaping and was telling to use same stuff . In fact he has a tank/boom sprayer he uses on my Polaris that should work well for that

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    The thing about plots like this are that they are not one day fixes. You can't just spray it or plow it under.
    I'd spray it and plow it and then spray it again. Then I'd plow it/plant it plus cultipact or drag it.
    All this is easier said than done. It is a lot of trips.
    So you think it would help to go down and spray it now since we just turned it all over and then do it again when we start out late summer work on food plots .

Was wondering if that is what we should do

Wait till the grass starts to grow again but yes, I would spray it again. Then I would plow it again at planting.

It does no good to bush hog then spray

I found that if you plow 3-4 times it will help with the weed problem. We did that this year near my house and had a great plot , we didnt even spray it.

Mow it short, wait a week, spray it, wait a week, plow it, then come back and till it
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

why spray w round up before plowing? makes no sense
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

He already plowed. He is spraying again to get the perennial grass that was not killed when it was turned over.

roger

i just dont understand killing stuff then planting more stuff to kill again.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    roger

i just dont understand killing stuff then planting more stuff to kill again.
    What ive found with what I mentioned was the round up kills it and the burning takes care of the excess grass, and depending on the heat of the fire normally destroys any leftover seed heads that could be replanted when tilling.

every dirt is different. I am of the belief that you plant a lot of seeds by discing. I would have no need to spray beforehand other than just getting rid of some grass so the rototiller doesnt get clogged....

I used to spray, then disc, then spray again. Then a few years ago I didn't have time to spray again and simply planted. We got some rain fairly quick and the seed took off. I think that if you get some rain fairly quick like, the seed will take off and a lot of times minimize the weed competition. If the seed sits dormant then the weeds will beat them to the punch and become a problem
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I used to spray, then disc, then spray again. Then a few years ago I didn't have time to spray again and simply planted. We got some rain fairly quick and the seed took off. I think that if you get some rain fairly quick like, the seed will take off and a lot of times minimize the weed competition. If the seed sits dormant then the weeds will beat them to the punch and become a problem

I think you hit the nail on the head, this past season the seed was there so long before it rained the weeds took over. Couple years before that army worms wiped it out and we quickly replanted but still was not a great plot

By the way, THANKS for all the ideas.