Thread: Need Motor

Default Need Motor

Gents -

Need some help. We've had this 19' McKee in the family (beach house) for years and years. It's got a late model (early 90's I think) Mercury Black Max 150 on it that has gotten to the point where it's not reliable enough for use and in fact hasn't run in 5 years. Long story but we have some stubborn men in our family, me included, that were at one point set on getting the motor back to reliable condition. I think the point has come where we'd like to find a solid used replacement but here is the problem...I personally have never shopped for an "older" motor to repower with. Are there any reputable shops that rebuild or deal in used outboards. A couple of things to consider...

- $3,000 budget
    - would like to use the existing controls if possible (staying with mercury)
    - needs to be reliable enough to throw family of kids and adults on to run intercostal and creeks and lakes but not going to the stream!

I know the necessities to check for used motors so really just looking for a source or some dealers that have a reputation for turning solid pre-owned outboards...

Give the folks at Websters Marine in Okatie a call. Not sure where you're located tho.

Will do. I'm in Charlotte but traveling is not an issue since we won't be putting a new motor with warranty from dealer.

Guy on craigslist has a 225 for 2900$. Thin k he has a 200 as well. Both black motors so your controls should work.